-6-

Sokka's POV:

The little money I earned went towards paying for my rent. I lived in a small apartment in the center of Caldera City, about an hour's walk from Master Piandao's castle. I was taking a walk around town, looking for a place to grab some food for the night, when I saw Zuko. 

"Hey, Zuko!" I waved, hoping to catch his attention. 

He glanced quickly over his right shoulder and kept walking. I guess he didn't want to talk to me. I noticed a few people whispering as he walked past.

I wonder if he's okay, I thought. Despite Zuko hinting that he didn't want to talk to me, I jogged to catch up with him.

"Hey, are you..." I trailed off as I realized that, no, he wasn't okay. He had a huge burn over half his face and he was crying. "What's wrong, Zuko? What happened?" I asked.

"Leave me alone." He said, at nearly a whisper. He tried to keep walking but I grabbed his arm and stopped him. 

"You need help. Let me help you, please."

"Why do you care so much? You barely know me."

"But I still know you. Even if it's just a little. And I can tell that, right now, you aren't okay. Just please come with me." I gently pulled on his arm and he gave in and started walking with me. We silently made our way to my apartment. By some miracle, a doctor was staying in the inn. It wasn't as good as a waterbending healer, but it was better than nothing.

After being treated as well as he could be with the little medical supplies at the inn, I showed Zuko into my apartment. We sat on the small couch in my apartment in silence for a few minutes before I asked, "So... what happened? With the burn and everything? If you're okay telling me, of course." 

Zuko picked at the white bandage that was wrapped around his head. "It's a long story. Really long."

"Well, I've got time if you do," I replied, turning towards Zuko.