-1-

Zuko's POV:
I sat in the royal garden feeding turtle-ducks bread, bored out of my mind. My father was in another war meeting, and Azula was probably eavesdropping from the door. Not that I wanted to be around my sister anyways. I reached to grab another chunk of bread and realized I had run out. All that was left were crumbs on the wax paper. I crumpled it up and set it beside me, and a moment later, a gust of wind picked it up. I watched as the paper was carried under the garden gate and outside the palace walls.

I was itching to do something, and here was my excuse. Littering is against Fire Nation law... The right thing to do would be to retrieve the paper and throw it away properly, be a good citizen.

I slipped through the gate and snuck into the city.

Sokka's POV:
The stone roads were hot beneath the sun, burning my feet. I had grown out of another pair of shoes. I barely had any money to begin with, but this was the second pair of shoes I'd grown out of this year. I walked barefoot up to Master Piandao's castle, where I worked as his assistant.

It was an okay place to work. Master Piandao was a kind man. He would give me leftover food and let me watch him train sometimes. Plus, it was next to the Firelord's palace, so the view was stunning. I was glad I had something to do and a way to take care of myself.

Once I got inside, I went straight to the kitchen to prepare Master Piandao's morning tea. I opened his office door to set the tea on his desk, and I saw a young boy, about my age, talking to Master Piandao.

He had pale skin, almost ghostlike, as if he were hardly ever outside. His his inky black hair was fastened into a ponytail with a gold clip. He had an athletic build. Not very muscular, but you could tell he was active. I assumed he was one of Master Piandao's students and practiced his swordsmanship often. He was holding onto a crumpled up piece of paper, too. I looked away quickly.

"Uh, hello, Master Piandao. I've prepared your morning tea," I said anxiously. I was hyper-aware of the boy's presence and could feel his eyes on me. I tried to ignore him.

"Thank you, Sokka. This is Zuko, a student of mine. We usually train at his home, but he has decided to come here for training, today." He shot a quick glare at the boy, Zuko, as if he wasn't supposed to be here. "Zuko, this is Sokka. He's my assistant."

"Hello, Zuko," I gave an awkward wave and my best attempt at a smile. I wasn't used to being around other kids. Was it normal to be this nervous?