Prologue - Sokka

The snow turned grey and mixed with soot as the fire navy ships grew closer to my village. The men prepared to fight, scrambling to adorn themselves in armor and sharpen their weapons.

Once the ships arrived and the soldiers began to invade, we realized that we hardly stood a chance. I grabbed the little boomerang my dad gave me and went outside to help. I was only a little kid, but anything to help, right? My little sister, Katara, ran after me.

"Sokka, what are you doing? Come back inside!" she shouted. She looked scared, and the snow around us began to melt. She was a waterbender, but couldn't control it yet. Her emotions determined when and how her powers worked.

"Katara! Go back inside! I'm trying to help," I grabbed her hand and led her inside. The snow was still melting with every step she took. She wouldn't let go of my hand, she tried to pull me back inside. I yanked it away and ran back to where I stood before.

The ground had turned to a slippery mud from the snowmelt and dirt. A fire nation soldier saw me, looked at the single space of melted snow, and widened his eyes.

"That must be the waterbender. Get him!" He pointed at me, and soldiers surrounded me. I was grabbed and taken aboard the ship. I was a prisoner of the fire nation, and I had a feeling I wouldn't see my home ever again, if not for a very, very long time.