-4-

Zuko's POV:

I waved goodbye to Sokka and began waking home.

As I was walking, I thought about our conversation. Sokka seemed friendly. He was a little odd, and extremely energetic, but he was fun and made me laugh. Sadly, I probably won't see him again for a long time, or maybe even at all. I was only ever able to sneak out on the rare occasion that the Firelord has an all-day war meeting. They usually last from sunrise to sunset.

I looked up at the sky and realized it was turning shades of orange and pink. The meeting is over. Firelord Ozai is going to know I'm not home. I began running back to the palace, slipping through the garden gate once again. I looked around and didn't see anyone, so I sat on the edge of the fountain, trying to play it cool. Then Azula ruined everything.

I heard a soft thud as my sister jumped from the camouflage of the tree branches.

"Geez, Azula! What are you doing?"

"Oh, I was waiting for you to come home, ZuZu! What took you so long?"

"Don't tell Firelord, please!"

"Oh, I'm sure he'll have no trouble finding out on his own. After all, you did miss dinner. Maybe that little teacher of yours will get some sort of punishment, too. How tragic." Azula slipped inside the palace, a smug smile spread across her face. I followed behind, anxiously awaiting the Firelord's reaction.

-

TW: burns, abuse

I had been in my room for about thirty minutes before a servant knocked on the door and told me that the Firelord wanted to speak with me. I looked down, all the way to the throne room, clenching and unclenching my fists in a weak attempt to calm my nerves. I stood before the throne, not daring to look into Firelord Ozai's eyes.

"Why weren't you at dinner tonight?" he commanded.

"I wasn't hungry," I mumbled.

"Speak up, and look me in the eye!" He yelled, "Give me your respect, boy!"

"I wasn't hungry, Firelord," I tried to level the shakiness of my voice.

"The palace guards reported otherwise."

Snitches.

"That you went against my direct orders and ventured outside palace walls. Do you know what punishments I could give you for that? I could imprison you for life, maybe even have you killed. But I'll take mercy on you. I'll lessen your punishment."

He thrust his hand forward. I knew what was about to happen. It practically happened in slow motion. His face was contorted with rage: eyebrows drawn tight, teeth bared, eyes wide. A column of fire rocketed towards me. I was frozen still, paralyzed in fear. I could see flames coming closer, felt the blistering heat approaching. But I couldn't move.