VII. Always My Weakness

{Draco}

{Draco}

     THE MID-NOVEMBER breeze was cold and constant. It flushed my cheeks while I walked down Hogwarts' outdoor corridors, en route to Professor Snape's classroom. Over the course of these past two months, my Occlumency had improved significantly. Even Snape was surprised by my ability to retain a conscious awareness throughout his invasive Legilimency spells. I was a quick learner -according to him.

Although the sun was already setting, the professor had requested my immediate presence. I figured it must be some sort of emergency.

"Hello, Draco," a distant voice greeted from across the room. This was the only acknowledgement Snape offered. His gaze was fixated on staring out of a window.

"Afternoon," I nodded once. "Is there a reason you owled me on a day we weren't supposed to meet?" My expression was set in perfect neutrality, accompanied by a pair of guarded eyes. I blinked away the uneasiness that gathered in my stomach.

"You have already secured your memories in a library, yes?" he drove straight to the point, blatantly ignoring my question. I shut the door behind me.

"Yes," I hesitated. "What's this about?"

"I believe the time has come for you to advance in your training." With a click of his tongue, Snape whipped around to face me. "After your task is completed, the Dark Lord will yearn to know every dirty detail of the process you underwent. He will gain access to everything-"

My teeth gritted together but I managed to keep my composure. He's trying to push your buttons. Don't give him the satisfaction.

"-so it is imperative you anticipate that day's arrival to be sooner than originally expected. You will need to prepare accordingly." He strided forward, the bottom portion of his black robes rippling from the movement. "Sit," the professor ordered in a clipped tone.

I reluctantly obeyed.

"You need to know how to conceal things- valuable things, from a strongly gifted Legilimens." He paused. "We will begin by covering your relationship with Miss Blakes."

I choked on pure oxygen.

"Excuse me? No, there is no 'relationship with Miss Blakes'. I told you, my feelings will fade as soon as I finish my mission," I rationalized. "She'll hate me and I'll have mastered Occlumency by then. I'll block her out."

He stared at me skeptically.

"I will."

Snape took a deep breath, "And just how do you plan on accomplishing such a thing?"

I did not answer.

"Whether you like it or not, Draco, we must start somewhere. Studying the books will only get a wizard so far. It is essential you build a tolerance for Legilimency, as well as gaining first-hand experience on how to lock away whatever book you wish to keep undiscovered. The girl only happens to be ideal for what you need to practice."