III. Absurd Accusations

{Griffin}

{Griffin}

     "QUIBBLER? NO? Alrighty."
Our compartment door slid open and Luna's face poked inside. "Might I interest any of you with a Quibbler?" She gestured to a bundle of magazines currently held between her arms. One look at Ron and Hermione's expressions was enough to know they had no interest in the articles, but were unsure how to politely decline. "Um, we're okay, Luna. Thank you, though," I answered with a smile at the girl.

Luna shrugged, "It's all the same to me. Circulation's well up after that exclusive interview from the end of last term. Father is very pleased."

"That's nice," Hermione complimented.

"It is," Luna chirped. "Well, see you all a little later. Goodbye Ron, Hermione, Griffin, and Harry." Harry looked up for the first time since we boarded the Hogwarts Express, only just now noticing Luna's presence. "Bye," he said weakly as she left.

"Where'd you go, mate?" Ron joked. "You've been distant all morning."

"Nowhere," he said. "I was just thinking about Malfoy, again."

I slumped in my seat next to him. "Haven't we been through this enough times?"

"He's just suspicious, is all. Sneaking about Knockturn Alley with a load of Death Eaters."

My gaze shifted to the passing views outside the window. The rolling hills and clouds scattered throughout the blue sky. In all honesty, I was sick of discussing theories involving Draco. Although Ron and Hermione mostly shrugged it off, Harry became obsessed with what may have happened that day inside Borgin and Burkes.

"Alright," Ron said, entertaining the topic. "So, what was Draco doing with that weird-looking cabinet?"

Harry stared at the three of us wildly. "Don't you see? It was a ceremony. An initiation."

"I know what you're thinking, Harry," I said quickly. "And it's not true-"

"It's happened," he insisted. "He's one of them."

"One of what?" Ron asked. Hermione shook her head and replied, "Harry is under the impression Draco Malfoy is now a Death Eater." Ron glanced at me before releasing a nervous laugh. "You're barking," he said. "What would You-Know-Who want with a sod like Malfoy?"

I let out an exasperated sigh. "He's sixteen. They wouldn't recruit a sixteen year old."

"Then what's he doing at Borgin and Burkes?" Harry asked, turning to me. "Browsing for furniture?"

"I don't know," I said defensively.

"I mean, it's a creepy shop," Ron stated. "He's a creepy bloke."

"Look," Harry licked his lips, "his father is a Death Eater. It only makes sense."

The conversation made my stomach twist up and without warning, I stood. "Griffin?" Hermione questioned worriedly. "Sorry, I just-" my hands trembled slightly as I reached for the door, "I need some air." Before they could say anything more, I slipped out of our compartment and continued down the train's thin corridor. I did not get a chance to wonder where I was going when a firm hand found itself on my shoulder.