V. An Open Book

{Draco}

{Draco}

     I'VE SURVIVED twelve days at Hogwarts.
And honestly, putting any effort into my classes seemed futile when compared to the grand scheme of things. During meals, I was far more reserved than usual. Crabbe and Goyle teased me for this. Blaise and Pansy, on the other hand, went on like always -probably pretending they had not noticed.

Professor Snape assigned a chapter of text in the D.A.D.A class today, but I gave up reading the pages a while ago. Shifting in my seat, I fiddled with the cold ring around my finger and tried to think of how to solve my current dilemma.

Bellatrix Lestrange had sent me an owl.

It arrived earlier this week, before Filch's security over the Owlery was established.

The letter detailed her plans to teach me Occlumency during my upcoming visit to the Manor for winter break. I thought of what the lessons with Bella may entail. If part of the process included her seeing into my mind...

I anxiously picked at the skin beneath my nail beds, looking up to see Griffin hard at work.

It was obvious because when she concentrated, her brows pinched together and were accompanied by a slight pout on her lips. It was oddly endearing. I continued stealing glances in her direction sporadically through the remainder of the period, right up until Snape made an announcement for break.

"Mr. Malfoy, a word?" his sharp voice cut through the other students' sounds as they packed their books and shuffled out into the corridors.

My stomach growled, but I stopped and sank back into my chair.

Scarhead Potter made an ugly face, and I assumed that must be how he looks when confused. The git studied me with a wary expression until he reached the doorway, followed closely behind Blakes. Our eyes met and my heart unwillingly skipped a beat. She looked like she wanted to talk to me and really, I would have loved nothing more.

"Griffin," Potter's voice chided. Just like that, the moment ended before it had even begun.

Blakes pressed her lips together and tugged at her book-bag, finally exiting the room. That's when I realized she was the last person to leave. I turned my head towards the front of the classroom, finding Snape already watching me with one eyebrow arched.

"What do you-"

The professor interrupted me with a simple wave of his wand. The front door slammed shut. "Bellatrix has offered to teach you Occlumency," he stated rather than asked.

I narrowed my eyes. "She told you?"

"She did not need to," he said, as if that answered my question. "Your thoughts are practically an open book."

Oh, fuck.

"You're a Legilimens."

"Precisely," Snape drawled.