VI. Changing Tides

{Griffin}

{Griffin}

     THE NEXT day, Draco missed lunch.
I tried ignoring his absence, but instead found myself constantly glancing over at the Slytherin House table. I wondered where he was and what he was doing. If we were finally in a good place. Or if, before his imprisonment, Lucius Malfoy had talked to his son about me. I knew he was aware -or at least suspected- that I fancied Draco. That was something that often troubled me.

What if Draco was using me?

No. No, he wouldn't do that.

What if it was all a plot to have me willingly join Voldemort's ranks?

Stop it.

I almost shivered, remembering Lucius' poisonous words. He had said, "Surely, the Dark Lord would overlook your less than stellar blood status if you pledge your loyalty..."

But then I let myself think of Draco's eyes. The way they softened when he decided to open up to me and, even just for a moment, appear emotionally vulnerable.

If he was beginning to trust me, perhaps I could trust him too.

"Nonverbal spells are the worst," Ron pouted, stabbing his mashed potatoes with a fork. "You know Flitwick wants us to master the Aguamenti Charm by our next lesson? How am I supposed to focus on Quidditch if I'm too worried about all the stupid subjects I'll be failing?"

Hermione sighed, "The probability of you failing all your classes is very slim. Besides, you're not even on the team yet, Ronald. You shouldn't be worried about something when it hasn't even happened yet."

"Well, when you put it like that," Harry glanced up from reading his copy of the Advanced Potion-Making textbook, "maybe I'm the one who should be stressing. A great load of people applied for tryouts, so I'll probably have my hands tied for the rest of the day."

I took a sip of apple cider and said, "It's because you're the captain this year."

His face twisted up in a startled, confused manner.

"Haven't you noticed, mate?" Ron snorted. "Ever since Voldemort was outed, everyone outside of D.A.'s been a whole lot nicer to us. Reckon they feel guilty for listening to the prophet's incessant persecutions last year. That, or they wanna capitalize off your surge in popularity."

Harry nodded uncomfortably, "Right." His gaze shifted to someone else and he gave a polite greeting, "Afternoon, Professor."

Ron and I turned around to see Professor Slughorn smiling down at us. "Good afternoon, Harry. You too, Griffin. And- well, all of you, of course! Tell me, how are we enjoying Advanced Potions?"

Ron, not interested in the conversation, returned to his meal.

"Brilliant," Harry quickly replied. "Easily one of my favorite classes." The compliment caused Slughorn's eyes to brighten. Hermione, however, wore a tight smile as she spoke up, "It's a fascinating subject, sir. I look forward to expanding my knowledge of potion brewing."