06. pre-game dinner

the next couple of days, the two have been getting closer and closer to get to know each other better. it is currently friday morning the day of their presentation in ap psychology. both were confident in their findings as they practices their presentation late night at parks cafe.

~~

1st period ap psychology with mrs. smith

"okay class!" mrs. smith grabbing the class's attention. "today we will be finishing up presentations. we have nick and sarah, jacob and james, mika and riley and lastly ricky and nini."

they continued to do presentation throughout the period. ricky and nini not paying attention as they were nervous to be the last presentation. last one is always the best one right.

and that is what exactly what they did. they knocked it out of the park. apparently they added too much information, their presentation needed to be stopped because the bell was going to ring. they were given a automatic A+ because of how much information they provided.

"wow. it didn't feel like we were up there for that long" nini grabbed her bookbag.

"yeah. i guess we just got too into it." ricky smiled.

"how about a celebratory pre-game dinner at the diner?"

"always down. but are your mom gonna be okay with it?"

"i don't know but i feel like we have to celebrate."

"4:00pm?"

"4pm" ricky said and they both smiled before saying goodbye and going on with the rest of their day.

~~

3:15pm

it was a friday which meant game day at east high and the east high football team was one of the best in the state but tonight was their biggest challenge yet. west high's football team wasn't the best but for the past 3 years they have beaten the east high wildcats. now that ricky is captain, it was ricky's job to lead their team to victory for their first win over west high in 3 years. 

ricky and nini just finished their school day. both didn't have any after-school activities as theater wasn't meeting today and ricky didn't have to be back at school until 5:30pm.

nini headed straight to the diner as she had a shift after school while ricky went home to pick up his stuff really quick before heading towards the diner in downtown slc. 

~~

nini was currently wiping down the counters when she heard the door bell ring which meant there was a customer. 

"hey there" ricky smiled.

"hey ricky. you can choose wherever to sit." nini greeted him as she headed back. ricky grabbed a menu and sat down. "so what can i get you?" 

"i'll do a single cheeseburger with bacon and fries."

"everything on it ?" she asked and he nodded. "cool. derek, 2 single cheeseburger and fries please."

"so how have you been since i saw you last in first period." ricky asked.

"same old, same old. just more homework and tests to study for. how about you?"

"same. just nervous for the game tonight."

"you guys are going to do great. i wish i could come and cheer you on but i gotta work tonight."

"i hope so. also i need you to get in more trouble if your parents saw you at the football game than 'studying at home'" 

"nini, 2 single cheeseburgers and fries are ready." derek called out.

"thank you derek." nini yelled out and turned towards ricky. "here you go."

"thanks."

"back to what you said. i just wish my parents would let me live my life they way i want to. it's kinda frustrating, knowing my future is but not looking forward to it."

"me too. i'm not sure what's happening with me yet, all i know is that i either want to live with my dad or be out of utah. i can't be with my mom anymore, its a dangerous environment."

"you need to leave there. who knows what happens when they get into an argument."

"nini, i appreciate you but please try and not help fix me. i'm trying to learn on my own, if you get into this mess, you'll leave me too and i'll be back to be 'the football captain who is in constant trouble."

"hey" nini walked from behind the counter and took a seat next to him. "i won't get into it because you told me so but if it gets bad and you need help, i will get into it."

"okay but ONLY if i ask you too." ricky smiled and continued to eat his burger next to the girl he knew was the one

the diner was dead because it was only 4:30pm so she ate with him and talked about ricky's upcoming game tonight against north high. 

~~

ring ring*

"nini, can you come and grab this bag" mama c opens up the door.

"coming mom" nini shouted. "i'll be right back." nini got up and headed towards the entrance door and grabbed a bag from her mom.

"thanks honey." mama stopped at her tracks when she saw ricky. "hello ricky. what are you doing here?"

ricky held his breath before speaking. "hi mrs. salazar-roberts, i was just here grabbing some dinner before my game tonight."

"did you have to burgers before a game."

"actually-"

"that one is mine mom." nini interrupted mama c. mama c wasn't very happy that they were hanging out in her diner.

"nini why are you eating now? didn't you eat before your shift started?" she asked.

"i was going to but there is only a couple of people here. i decided to eat with him but once i'm done i'll get back to work."

"nini, this boy is a bad influence on you." mama c turned to ricky. "ricky i think you should head out before your game tonight."

nini felt defeated, she did not want an argument with her mom in a public place. "i'll wrapped up ur dinner so you can head out." she dropped her head grabbing his food and going to the back.

mama c turns to ricky and walks closer to him. "i don't know what your intentions are with my daughter but after tonight, you are no longer allow to see her outside of school. you have caused too much trouble between our family." and with that she walks away to head back while nini walks out with a bag in her hand. 

"i'm sorry about that. here is your food."

"thanks nini. i'll see you at school." he quietly said before walking out.

this is how the night wasn't suppose to start.