Chapter Four

BANG! The sound of thunder strikes resounded everywhere.

He had been right about the storm. But it hadn't even been a day since he'd gone to the Professor's in search of a Psychic type, a Fairy type or even just a Normal Type like Chansey. However it seemed that he had bad luck for with a storm this bad most Pokémon would know to go find a place to hide which was likely why he never found one, those types were extra sensitive to the world around them.

BANG!

Looking out his window, the wind loud and the rain pelting, the storm was worse then he thought it'd be. From what he could hear from the tv downstairs it was looking to be one of the worst storms in last century. And something was telling him it wouldn't be the last. The same feeling that was telling him it wasn't a natural storm.

He groaned as he dropped himself on his bed, not minding the pain that shot through his body as he did so the beating he took that morning only leaving him a few bruises. Oddly enough it had been a day since his last coughing fit, as it was something that tended to rack against his body even during storms it felt like it was proving that this storm was different. It was a relief that whatever was causing it had decided to take a break.

But he almost missed it. The pain helped him forget the abuse he suffered, helped overwhelm the pain caused by the harm his mother inflicted. He stopped his thoughts there, there was no point in dwelling on it right now. He could think of it after he finds a way to survive being trapped in the house with his mother for the next few days, she always had a beating schedule during storms.

He shot a glance at the calendar above his head; 3 and a half months left before the Starters are sent out for new trainers. He had struggled asking the Professor that, watching other children talk about getting their first Pokémon for hours before practicing his act for another few, his voice not as strong as it use to be. However he thought it was worth it as not only had the Professor told him when they would be ready, he was also told stories about his dad.

It had been a surprise (or would've been if he could feel things) to hear that his dad had managed to catch Mew. An even bigger surprise that he managed to catch the three legendary birds and another Pokémon called Mewtwo. However there were always reported sightings of Mew and on occasion the legendary birds so this also led to the Professor to the belief that normal Pokéballs couldn't hold the mythical or legendary Pokémon long unless they allowed it. He found that he didn't quite believe that even if it was a fascinating idea. However the most confusing and interesting thing had been the way the Professor had spoken of it like he wasn't actually sure if any of it was really true. He'd also realized that there was no record of these achievements after snooping around, his dad was a complete mystery as if he'd never existed.

"ASH GET DOWN HERE!"

Ash shot up from his bed just as he was drifting to sleep at the lull of the rain. It wasn't often that his mother said his name or spoke to him, other then to dismiss or belittle him during a beating. Turning his head to look at the clock he was only confused a moment before he realized why.

BANG!

'Oh the power went out.' Another 'Oh' moment. Hiding away his hat which he'd taken out for nonexistent comfort, he walked quietly downstairs making sure to lock the door behind him. The first change he had made while young but old enough to earn money so only he had a key, he could never be to safe around his mother.

Sinking in on himself, hiding in the shadows of the house, he stood in front of her fuming form. "You worthless brat! Taking so long to come down! A good-for-nothing just like your father! Make yourself useful and go check the power box!" He nodded dully which appeared to be the wrong move as she smacked him across the face sending him head first into the wall.