Chapter Nine

Satoshi rested quietly under a small tree, taking in the clearing filled with tall grass that reached his knees. He wondered how many Pokémon were scurrying about in it compared to the ones which were out about in the open. He listened intently as Pidgey flew overhead with an occasional Pidgeotto, and he shooed away a few of the hungry purple pests, Rattata. The camera Daisy had given him to record memories in hand, as he practiced taking a few pictures.

He had purposefully waited until Gary had driven by in his red car (he didn't have the energy to know what kind) hurling insults at him, while his cheerleaders swooned over the arrogant rich boy, before he allowed himself to relax.

Likewise he had also returned his starter, into its Pokéball. He was already to drained to deal with the Pokémon's concern for him as its trainer. The last three months had been exhausting as he had to silently coordinate with his mother's words while he was confined in Daisy's home.

Leading the doctor on had been even harder. He had been acting out of his element for three whole months, even controlling his thoughts to a certain extent to make it more believable for even himself. It was rude, and cruel of him to manipulate her like that, but he would honestly do anything to escape from that town. He'd even considered stealing a Pokémon from the Professor. But the cons of that plan were far to numerous for him to consider it again. And who knows maybe somewhere inside him he had genuinely thought the way he had during  and after his time with her.

There were a great deal of moments that he'd almost let clues slip, but the little mouse he'd found seemed to understand him. That little mouse had been the only bright part of those three months of playing an emotionally hurt boy that had a struggle opening up toward people.

He had never been afraid to admit that he was in fact emotionally impaired, he hadn't even attempted to fix it when he started to notice signs while he was in town. It had been the only bit of the damage, that had in the end helped him survive through the years.

In fact there were a great deal of things he wasn't ashamed to admit, not that he was weaker then most girls, that he was short, not even that he was abused. The abuse was a secret not because of the shame, hatred of being weak, or fear, nor because a part of him still loved his mother (he'd have scoffed if someone suggested this), not for anything like that. It came down to him wanting to be left alone, his hatred towards anything that may prevent him from leaving, but mostly because he hated that stupid town.

Even though he was emotionally damaged, he could still feel is burning hatred for the town, he wanted nothing to do with. It was why he planned to go back to his real name, Satoshi. The name his dad had given him before people followed his mother's example and called him Ash. The name had inferred he was merely the left over of someone better, remains of a (Ho-Ho) Pheonix, a vast difference from Satoshi which meant "wisdom" or "reason". It was an insult that only he understood, his mother wasn't quite smart enough to understand it as that had merely been what she had originally wanted to name him.

The strange understanding his dad had towards him stunned him on occasions, as if his father had known him for a long time. He had always had a strange feeling that the only reason his dad had been with his mother was for his birth. He never believed it, as it never made sense but it would explain things.

Even his dad's disappearance. He pushed his thoughts aside. He would ask his father about it later if he ever found him. Overall he had long been making plans, weighing the pros and cons of everything.

It was why he allowed himself to pretend he was getting better with Daisy, so she'd tell him how to disable the Carry Limit, and as such he could distract her resulting in her forgetting to lock the settings of the Pokédex. This allowed him to change his name on his official League records to Satoshi, as well as change his emergency contact to Daisy.

As for telling people about his abuse. He didn't plan on it. There were far to many cons that went along with the title of 'victim' the League watched trainers like these carefully. As for help with the damage to his emotional health, he didn't mind fixing it now that he was out of town. He didn't have anything against people living elsewhere, though the scarring from his mother as his emotions started returning were likely to cause problems.

He closed his eyes sighing in exhaustion. His plans had come to pass, some he didn't even understand why he'd gone through with. Now he didn't have a reason to continue, no path that he had interest in, no goal beyond escaping town. No more wants. Then again he hadn't had any wants in a long time. He didn't even care if he died this moment, he wouldn't have any regrets.

He paused as he felt pain welling up in his chest at the thought. He just lied to himself. But what was he lying about? He went over everything that he'd just been thinking of.

'Haaa.' He had indeed lied. He did want something, no rather two things. He wanted to see the little yellow mouse again, and he wanted to learn about this world that had never given him anything but pain, that he wished to know his part in.

He stood, brushing off his pants as he looked toward the distant City of Viridian a days trip away. Just in time, as he had subconsciously hoped, he heard a cry behind him, that on reflex made him smile.

"Pikachu!"

He turned his head to gaze at the yellow mouse that stopped to stand beside him in the middle of the empty road. It's eyes held the same thoughts as his own. They were so alike, like two sides of the same coin, the form whether heads or tails being different but what made them up the same thoughts and ideals.

"Partners?" He questioned the mouse with the first genuine smile since he was a young baby, that had not been a part of any plan, not a trace of a lie in it.

"Pikachu!" The mouse—Loki returned it. And Satoshi didn't need to know the exact words said because he understood. Partners. From now on they'd work together as they searched the world for their part in it.

"Rrraaaghh!"

The pair looked up at the sound of a loud bird cry similar to Zapdos' own recorded cry. Stunned as they saw the large sparklingly red wings filling out with white and green feather linings, a white belly on display before it trailed into its orange feathered tail which left a sparkling trail behind it. The whole bird covered in an golden glow.

The pair watched as the unknown bird flew over their heads, its call as if acting witness to their promise, a small shining rainbow feather falling into their hands. Neither noticing the small floating pink cat-like far behind them that giggled, "Mew!"

Camera in its paws, as it snapped a picture of the moment when they made their promise. Evidence of a moment that would bring about a change in the world. Before it returned the camera to its place and vanished into thin air.

The photo found long in the future as the two partners went through the memories they made on their way to a whole new region.