Chapter Seven

The trip to the Lab didn't take long from the Oak's Family Home, a mere five minute walk. However Ash's nerves were on high alert, speeding up as he watched lights in homes turning on as the town was waking up to celebrate three new trainers setting off on their own adventure.

His chest hurt at the thought of the crowd that would be waiting for him outside, at the thought that his mother might be there. He kicked himself for not thinking of taking the extra minutes of the morning to warm up his throat, he was required to speak outside to act like they cared for each other. Shaking his head wishing to clear his thoughts of things that made him anxious, a feeling he was still getting use to, he instead thought on the future mere minutes away.

Out of all three starters, he wanted to get Charmander, the Fire Type. He'd known from the year he could remember of his father, the powerful Charizard that had been his father's starter, that would curl around he and his dad as he was cuddled in his small form. He still found moments like those that he could remember odd. There weren't any other kids his age that remember what happened in their second year of life.

Still he didn't question it he felt grateful, those memories had kept him warm inside, still willing to survive as he knew someone had loved him before and they still loved him, he just knew they did. He wanted to be like his father and while he didn't know much about him he knew enough that he'd be able to learn.

Charmander was the start of that plan. However he'd need to be early if he wanted first pick or really if he wanted a Pokémon to begin with as there was an additional kid that was of age to go out, not that the others knew this or considered this. There was a kid by the name of Damian among the four of them who he hoped wouldn't be going out. He wanted to growl at the thought of the mean boy, but he was out of his thoughts as he arrived at the Lab.

With a sigh of relief that there was no crowd and he seemed to be the first here he knocked tentatively on the door. Flinching only slightly when it swung open to reveal a surprised Professor Oak. "Ah. Well if it isn't Ash, my boy! I didn't expect to see you here so early. Your mother said you were having a hard time waking up on time recently. By the way where is she?"

Ash tensed under the question forcing himself to push the words out with a bit of fluency, "At home. Daisy's helping pack my things. I wanted to be early."

The Professor nodded in understanding not seeming to notice how choppy his words were or probably thinking it was no different from usual. His throat was already on fire and he only hoped he wouldn't experience an 'attack' before he managed to leave town.

"We'll come on in, Ash! You can meet the starters and think about who you want while we wait for the other two to arrive."

With what he hoped was an enthusiastic nod that revealed none of his anxiety over the thought of being trapped here for a while he followed. After passing a messy guest area which Ash guessed was where older Trainers would wait or visiting occurred, they entered the actual lab which contained a variety of technology that he didn't have much knowledge of.

The old Professor gestured the three Pokéballs on a small island in the rooms left hand side that he only knew to be a device which recorded data on the Pokémon inside. "These three Pokéballs hold your future Pokémon. There's the Grass Type Bulbasaur, the Fire Type Charmander, and the Water Type Squirtle." As he said this he grabbed each said Pokéball and tossed it out in front of him releasing the Starter inside.

Light lit up his eyes as he looked at the enthusiastic Starter Pokémon which were eager to be chosen. He loved each of them and would love to have them as his Pokémon however he had already decided before hand who'd he choose, a clear bias in his choice.