41. Emily 🏊‍♀️

Emily was locking her bike to the bike rack at the front of the school. She was having a lot of trouble trying to get the lock to stay shut. She made a mental note to buy a new one since this one wasn't nearly as safe as it should've been. "I was going to offer you a ride, but your bike's faster than my car," someone said as they approached.

Emily looked up and saw Maya coming toward her, a smile on her face. Emily hadn't seen Maya since the morning after she had stayed the night. "I passed you?" Emily asked as she stood and tucked her hair behind her ear. "I didn't even see you."

Emily must've been so wrapped up in her thoughts that she drove straight past everyone around her without giving them a second glance. Trying to figure out a place to remember Alison turned out to be a lot harder than she thought it would be. She knew the barn probably wouldn't work; she didn't even think that she could go back there anyway, not with A lurking in every corner.

"I saw you," Maya said. "You took that corner on one wheel."

"Gotcha!"

Someone grabbed Emily's hips and kissed her ear. Ben had raced up on Emily's side, making her jump a little bit. She hadn't been expecting him to be there. "Ben, stop," she said, giggling uncomfortably. She didn't understand why Ben felt the need to be all over her in public like this. Emily had told Ben before that she wasn't super big on PDA, even after that make out session in his car the other day, because it made her uncomfortable. She felt like the whole world was watching when they did anything in public.

"Fine," Ben teased. "I can wait one more day." Emily and Maya looked at him, confused. "What? You guys heard, right? Noel's doing his cabin party tomorrow night."

Emily thought she had heard something about that while she was trying to figure out her bike situation. The cabin party was always insane. Emily never really went to those parties unless Ben dragged her along. He was pretty close with Noel, so he always scored two invites to every Kahn party.

Maya smiled. "Is this one of Rosewood's pagan rituals?"

"Kinda," Ben said with a shrug. "There was definitely some howling last year."

Ben pulled Emily closer and started nibbling on her ear again. Emily inched away from him, starting to get annoyed. What was with him today? She shook it off and tried to act as normally as possible. "Why don't you come with us?" Emily asked Maya. "Please. Come. It'll be fun."

Maya had never been to one of these parties before, and Emily was sure that this would be a great opportunity for her to make some new friends. Emily would also be able to use her as an escape from whatever "howling" that Ben was talking about. Ben smiled awkwardly at Maya as she agreed to tag along to the party. Emily finally got her bike lock to stick and went inside with the two of them.