when she was

When she was 5, she received her quirk. Dad had told her it would help people, that she would get to be a doctor like him. At the time, she had believed him.

When she was 6, she saw a dead man lying on the sidewalk. At first she thought the man had been sleeping; not much looked different about him. When she was finally up close to him, the drool dribbling out of his mouth like poison and the blank look in his eyes gave it away. The bottle in the man's hand was empty and broken. A glass shard was stuck in his thumb.

"Look away," Dad had told her at the time. 'Look away' doesn't change what she saw though, so she doesn't understand it.

When she was 7, Dad no longer sounded excited to be a doctor. His stories about work stopped coming one day, but he never tells her why. She figures it out eventually, when she finds his uniform in the trash.

She never tells him she knows about it. She wants him to sound happy whenever she asks about work. ( She knows the stories aren't real now though, and it hurts to hear them. Why does he keep lying? )

When she was 9, they moved out of their two story home and into an apartment a whole town away from her last home. Dad doesn't like to talk about the sudden move, so she doesn't ask about it.

When she's 10, Dad tells her out loud that he no longer works as a doctor. When she tells him she's known, he breaks down into tears. She understands a little bit now.

When she's 11, Dad tells her that his new work keeps him away from home longer. Sometimes he might be gone for days now. She understands. 

( Dad smells like cigarettes and sadness whenever he comes home; she doesn't like hugging him anymore. )

When she's 13, Dad tells her how Mom died. He says she died in a car accident when she was two. That it was a drunk driver's fault. He sounds angry when he tells her, so she doesn't ask about anything else.

And when she's 15, Achilles (Name) is accepted into the General Studies Course at U.A.

welcome to shark bait 

song inspiration

Achilles Come Down - Gang of Youths
It's Ok I Wouldn't Remember Me Either - Crywank
Pope Alexander - Crywank
Only Everyone Can Judge Me - Crywank
The Widow - As Cities Burn
All That - Oliver Tree
American Healthcare - Penelope Scott
A Match Into Water - Pierce the Veil
No Children - The Mountain Goats
Twin Size Mattress - The Front Bottoms
Kill Yourself - Bo Burnham