FIVE // Famous

Crawl to me,
and hold onto
the heightened euphoria
that latches onto your tongue,
that builds in the sweat
collecting on the crevices
of your begging body.
Crawl to me,
and never let go
of these hands
that cling to you
the same way
my lungs cling to air
as if it's the last breath
they'll ever beckon to breathe,
peacefully.
Crawl to me,
and with the sound of ruffling sheets,
tell me you love me.

Tell me you love me.

-eb.

..................

"Ameera!" A voice shrieked just as she entered the doors of her workspace. "AMEERA!" the voice yelled louder this time. Ameera whipped her head around with confusion, trying to locate the voice of the person. "YOUR FACE IS ON THE FUCKING FRONT COVER OF THE DAILY PROPHET. A MALFOY? YOU NEVER TOLD ME—oh sorry sir—AMEERA CARMEL."

And then she found her fellow friend and coworker, Xael Covenbough, charging toward her (while in heels) holding a newspaper in her hand. Shoving past the annoyed wizards and witches, her dark skinned friend was gasping for air, just as she grabbed onto the nearest young wizard intern for support.

"You all right, Gregory?" she chuckled while ruffling his hair. Gregory meekly nodded his head, burning slightly red at the sudden movements of Ameera's friend. Then she faced her attention towards Ameera with heavy breaths. "Bloody hell! Let me see it, woman." She snatched Ameera's left hand, eyes nearly falling out of their sockets as she gazed at the emerald stone. Ameera blushed profusely and slowly retracted her hand, afraid she was beginning to attract attention.

"Am I really on the front cover of the Daily Prophet? But we were alone at the banquet." she murmured with a frown. Xael shoved the newspaper in her face. There it was, Ameera's face plastered across the front cover, caught by a sly photographer just as she was exiting the restaurant, hand in hand with Scorpius Malfoy. "Oh no." she whispered, eyes wide with surprise. "No, no, no."

"You're engaged to Scorpius Malfoy?" hissed her coworker. "Just...like that? Overnight? There are so many things I want to say to you right now, but Merlin, he is the fittest white man I have ever laid eyes on."

"Goodness, Xael, you can be so dramatic." Ameera groaned, But Xael was already flipping to the page.

"Read." she coaxed. Ameera squinted her eyes at the writing in front of her, Rita Skeeter's voice echoed in her ears.

"It seems Lucius Malfoy has finalized the marriage between his son, Scorpius Malfoy and a mysterious olive skinned witch. They were seen stepping outside of restaurant, Carpe Diem, seeming absolutely cozy with one another—"

"This is ridiculous," Ameera chuckled humorlessly. "This is a violation of my privacy."

"Um, earth to Meera, you are a journalist."

"I ask permission to journal. I never overstep my boundaries! I don't sneak around with a bloody camera." Ameera shouted indignantly. She tossed the newspaper on her desk with a huff and slumped into her chair, contemplating her new fame. "Everything's going to change now, isn't it?" she murmured.

Xael sat herself down in front of Ameera with a matter-of-fact expression. "Baby, your life already changed the moment you put that ring on." Xael gestured to the emerald stone adorning Ameera's finger. Ameera stared at it with pursed lips.

"Maybe I should just take it off for now, at least to stay out of the public eye. Perhaps they'll leave me alone if they see I'm not wearing the ring anymore." She began fidgeting with the ring carelessly, narrowing her eyes at the way it gleamed back at her brightly. It was almost as if someone was permanently shining a light on it, blinding everyone as she walked past.