SIX // Engagement Night

Have you ever met a person
who at first glance
you're not attracted to
but then you talk
and with every word
every smile
every laugh
they become more beautiful
until you can't believe
there was a moment
you didn't think they were.

a t t i c u s

..............

"Last poem..." Ameera sighed to herself as she stared at the words in black ink on the final page. She had spent the past hour, rereading all her favorite love poems that she had written. She set the journal down then pointed her wand at it. She took a deep breath before whispering, "Incendio." The journal burst into flames.

"AQUA ERUCTO!" A female voice shrieked. A blast of water shot out from a wand as the flames retracted immediately. Ameera turned around startled. For a moment, she was hopeful, almost in relief, thinking it would be a certain someone. Instead, Xael was glaring daggers at Ameera while holding two extremely large gifts. "What the bloody hell are you doing, Ameera? You can poetically burn and mourn your books later, you have an engagement party to get ready for!"

Ameera shoved her head into her pillow. "Please don't tell my mother I'm not dressed yet, she's already stressed enough."

"I'll keep your secret if you just explain to me why you were setting fire to that journal of yours that I've seen you carry everywhere with you. You're engaged, not turning into a different person."

"I know it's just-"

"Are you happy?"

"Of course I'm happy. I just think I have to put this in the past now. It seems wrong to obsess over a dream, faceless, love interest."

"What do you mean?" Xael furrowed her brow. "Just imagine Scorpio when you write your poems."

"It's Scorpius." Ameera rolled her eyes with a small smile. Xael was giggling now.

"There is that favorite smile of mine." She grinned mischievously and set her gifts down with a huff.

"I know it seems strange, and I like Scorpius, I truly do. But when I write these poems, that aren't even mine, and I look for the perfect man. It's unrealistic...and quite silly."

"So you're telling me...that you're simply settling for Mr. Scorpio Malfoy."

"No." Ameera flushed pink under Xael's stare. "No, I am being logical and moving forward. I...I am not capable of falling in love all over again. I said yes to save myself the heartbreak. I said yes because Scorpius believes in blood purity, he believes in having a wife and therefore he will never leave me."

"Carmel." Xael was shaking her head. "Are you sure about this? I mean, I agree he's a nice man. But is this what you want in the end? You're just simply satisfied that you may never fall in love with him?"

Ameera simply nodded. "We're like partners, per se. For life." The words hit her like a brick. For life. She was going to be with this man for life. She shook it off. "Plus, I've got plenty of time to get to know him before our actual wedding." She smiled wide but Xael was still cautiously studying her. Ameera leaned forward and poked Xael in the shoulder with a reassuring grin. "I'm fine, really. Now tell me why have you brought your exceptionally large gifts when I specifically told you not to?"

"Because." Xael folded her arms with an exaggerated frown. "You never got me that date with Draco Malfoy."

The sound of his name made Ameera pause to catch her breath. Her mouth went dry as her mind spiraled back to that day. He had just turned and ran. Without a word. She sent multiple texts, called, sent owls even. But there was no reply. She was confused. Had she said something wrong? Had she upset him? He had been acting so strange that entire day. Even Esmerelda had asked where he fled to when she walked back in.