Rain Lily (Edgar x reader)

Fandom: Ikemen Revolution
Reader-insert: Female
Pairing: Edgar Bright x reader
Alternative Universe: Soulmate
Genre: Romance
Warnings: Even though this is a soulmate AU, the story is pretty loyal, canon-wise, so beware for spoilers of his route | Slight mentions of blood | Read at your own risk
Word Count: 1.8k

          Two were the reasons why Edgar Bright would keep his pristine, white gloves on at all times before you fell down the rabbit hole. First of all, it was due to the uncanny side of his job as the Jack of Hearts that had been officially bestowed upon him the moment he became part of the Red army. However, he had been trained to perform said job from a very young age ever since the early and mysterious passing of his beloved father. Thus Edgar chose to hide his cold, loveless hands from the rest of the world. The only people who knew about his shady job were his uncle, Claudius, and King Lancelot. Secondly, yet perhaps the most important reason was that symbol in the shape of a delicate rain lily etched on the palm of his right hand, marring his porcelain skin. Even though the Jack of Hearts had despised his soulmate tattoo for years, he began to think it was very fitting for someone like him by the time he realised he had been harbouring feelings for you. A rain lily symbolizes atonement and Edgar had committed plenty of sins for which he had to atone.
          The jade-coloured-eyed man released a troubled breath, fixing his cravat for the umpteenth time as he stared at his reflection on the mirror. His lips twitched up into his usual smile, but it was replaced by a pursed of his lips as his elegant brows knitted in dissatisfaction. He found himself abhorring that fraudulent and dishonest expression. You deserved a genuine gesture; you deserved better, he concluded. He studied his reflection on the mirror once more, unsure of being capable to smile genuinely anymore. Heaving a disheartened sigh, he left his room with a mind plagued with thoughts.
          Ever since he fell under your bewitching love spell, Edgar had found himself unable to put on his favourite smiling mask. At first, he had felt disconcerted and mildly irritated. It was indeed an inconvenience for the Gentle Demon not to be able to smile at will. But, what was truly unnerving was the fact that he had been unaware of it until the others pointed it out. His carefully crafted mask was crumbling and you were the culprit.
          "It's always been you..." he mumbled, lost in thought.
          "Took you long enough," chided Zero when he saw Edgar approaching the carriage that would take them to the Central Quarter. But his nagging fell on deaf ears, leaving the Ace of Hearts stunned.
          "What's with that face? Are you having second thoughts, now of all times?" Jonah's teasing, shrilling voice pulled Edgar out of his reverie as he stepped inside the carriage and took a seat opposite Jonah's.
          Edgar blinked a few times, tilting his head in confusion. "What?"
          "The Gentle Demon having cold feet? No way," Kyle snickered next to Jonah.
          "Why, there's nothing to fear for I love (y/n) very much," Edgar finally replied, lips quirking up into a genuine smile.
          The Queen and the Seven of Hearts stared baffled at the sight of that rare and loving simper on Edgar's face, too stunned to utter another word.
          The light-brown haired man glanced out the carriage window. The visage of the Red Headquarters gardens flooded his minds with memories of that fateful afternoon when he finally acknowledged his feelings for you. The sun was setting on the horizon when he came back from a "family reunion." His gloved hands were wet and freezing cold and he swore he could still smell and see the fresh blood of his victims staining his gloves. He remembered being startled when he saw you waiting for him. That cheerful glint in your eyes when you ran to greet him was so charming and innocent that he felt sick. How was he supposed to face you after what he had just done, he wondered, feeling that dreading sensation on his stomach when you flashed him that gorgeous simper of yours. And when he felt your tender hands cupping his own ever-so-gingerly as if they were the most delicate thing you had ever touched while you tried to warm them up, he noticed you were the most beautiful and ethereal being he had laid his gem-like eyes on. He also realised he had missed you just as much as you had missed him while he was away. What he failed to notice whatsoever was that you had gently taken his damped gloves off. When he finally noticed, it was all too late for you had already seen the tattoo on the palm of his hand. He observed with great apprehension as your face contorted into one of shock and surprise. Edgar had been completely mystified when you then confessed you had the same tattoo on your body. Although, instead of being on the palm of your hand, it was etched on your nape. On that afternoon, he had learned that rain lilies not only meant atonement but also reciprocated love. A fond smile crept across Edgar's face as he remembered tracing your tattoo with trembling hands. He had always found the warmth radiating off your body soothing, he mused inwardly.
          Everything changed ever since then, he contemplated, stepping out of the carriage. The two of you had overcome many hardships together, yet it was still hard for him to believe that you accepted his true self with open arms despite the lies, the deception and the revelation of his filthy and uncanny job as the Jack of Hearts that had been burdening his family for generations.
          Edgar had many doubts and fears, he admitted to himself. Was he good enough for you? Would he be able to atone for his crimes? Would he be a good husband? Would he be able to make you happy for the rest of your lives?
          'Love conquers all, Eddie. And I love you very much with all your flaws and imperfections, my sweet gummy bear.'
          Your tender words of love resonated in his head, dissipating all his worries, and he took a deep sigh of relief, snickering lightly at himself for letting his doubts take over his mind on that very important day, no less. The memory of those words you, his sweet jelly bean, had uttered not so long ago on one of your romantic outings with him, never failed to calm his troubled heart.
          Edgar was roused from his reverie the moment he saw your elegant form walking graciously down the aisle, looking utterly stunning and sublime in your ivory dress.
          "You take my breath away," he whispered for only you to hear once you stood next to him in front of the priest. You blushed at his compliment, staring at him with eyes shimmering with emotion before showing him the most adorable and sheepish grin he had ever seen plastered on your lovely face. He could not take his eyes off you; you looked so pretty, standing there at his side. The realisation made him eager to start walking a new path, illuminated by the gentle, warm sunlight with you hand in hand.
          You and Edgar exchanged your wedding vows and before long, you two were sharing a chaste kiss which conveyed a promise of eternal love. It felt so surreal to him when he called you 'wife' for the first time, and it filled him with immense joy when he heard you calling him your husband. He felt like he was on cloud nine.
          Once the celebration party was over, Edgar took you to his special, secret place in Cradle. It was a vast field decorated with a great variety of colourful and aromatic flowers which he often visited when he needed a respite from his burdening responsibilities.
          "Edgar, this place is wonderful," you susurrated as you stared in awe at the pretty flowers gently bathed in the silvery light of the full moon.
          "I'm glad you like this, my dear wife," he flashed you a beguiling and authentic grin that made your heart flutter in your chest.
          "I've never seen you smile like that, Eddie. You should do it more often, it suits you," you admitted, feeling the warmth radiating off your cheeks.
          Your husband stared momentarily at you in utter shock for he had not noticed he was doing such a thing. A soft, relieved chuckled fell from his lips at the realisation of being able to smile genuinely for you and he suddenly felt overcome with emotion.
          "You know, (y/n)..." he spoke, staring at the round moon up above in the starry sky. "Before I met you, I had concealed my true self from the rest of the world and buried my heart deep into the Forbidden Forest. I put on a jovial mask under which I hid the many sins I committed and my endless suffering. I was broken, drowning and gasping for air... I was an empty shell behind that mirthful veil," he took a moment before continuing his speech.
          You noticed his eyes glittering ever-so-softly and you took his hands in yours and gave him a reassuring squeeze. His lips twitched up into a small, appreciative smile as he gazed into your kind eyes.
          "You, (y/n), extended your loving arms to me and saved me," he spoke, pressing your hands to his face. "These merciful hands were able to get rid of that wretched mask." He pressed a tender kiss to both your palms. "It is thanks to you that I was given a second chance," he chuckled, feeling elated and pressed his forehead to yours. "I love you very much, (y/n). Thank you for all you've done for me and please... allow me to continue making you as happy as you do me every single day."
          "Oh, Edgar..." you choked on a sob.
          Edgar frowned lightly as he noticed the tears of joy streaming down your face and he sneaked an arm around your waist and cupped one of your cheeks in his hand.
          "Don't cry, my sweet jellybean," he whispered in a soothing tone while gently rubbing your back, his forehead was still touching yours.
          Despite the tears, your smile did not falter. Slowly, you closed the short gap separating you from his sugary lips.
          "I'm so lucky to have you, Eddie," you admitted gleefully.
          "I'm the lucky one, my love," he said before capturing your lips in a lingering, fervent kiss.
          He finally pulled away when he felt you shivering in his arms as the cool breeze blew hushedly in the field, making the flowers around dance to its subtle rhythm.
          "We should go back to our room," he said, taking off his jacket and draping it over your shoulders. "I wouldn't want you to fall sick on our wedding night.
You thanked him and took a hold of his arm as she walked you back to the private carriage that was waiting for the two of you nearby.
          "Though I cannot promise you'll be able to leave the bed tomorrow," there was a hint of sensual playfulness in his tone.
          "Edgar!" You exclaimed, feeling flustered at his innuendo.
          "I'm joking, I'm joking," he chuckled lightly. "Or am I?" He teased, lips quirking up into a wicked smirk as he shot you a seductive wink.