27

Cassian

Cassian

It's a good thing Penelope convinces me to leave. As we're walking back to my SUV, temptation prods at the back of my mind. Renee deserves to be put in her place. She deserves to know how her decision has affected Pen. What is filtering through my mind, though, is not good. I also can't predict how I'll react if Renee tries to justify her argument. Besides, I have to remember this is Pen and Patrick's problem. They need to decide how they want to approach the parents. As much as I enjoy spoiling things for Jake—just to push his buttons—this is too serious of a topic for my teasing tactics. It would be a betrayal to Pen. Revealing her identity against her will isn't right. 

After we stop at home, gathering some warmer clothes, Pen and I head into Kelowna. The place where you can buy real Christmas trees is just outside of Canadian Tire. In the parking lot, to be exact. It's boring and bland, but I suppose the lights strung over the fenced area and the tiny falling snowflakes add a hint of magic. On the far side, next to the booth where you pay, the highway acts as a backdrop. I wish we could experience a real Christmas tree farm, but the only legitimate Christmas tree farm in Kelowna is already closed. And Pen wants to decorate tonight. Besides, the taco food truck makes up for the industrial vibe radiating from the surrounding buildings and highway.

"One day," Pen says, "I want to travel across Canada and visit every food truck." She takes a bite of her crunchy taco shell, salsa dripping from the corner of her mouth. She wipes it away with a flick of her tongue. 

I have to admit, that sounds like one helluva trip. "Imagine all the hiking you could do, too. West Coast Trail, Lake Louise, Skyline Trail..." I trail off, thinking about the journeys we could go on, all the food we could taste. Pen and I would have a blast driving for hours, listening to Hozier and Lord Huron on repeat with the windows rolled down. We'd take turns driving, and we'd never run out of topics to discuss.

"The West Coast Trail wouldn't have a food truck," Pen laughs.

"No," I smile. "But we could do the West Coast Trail first, and then pig out on food truck food after."

Pen's posture straightens. When she glances up at me, I note the snowflakes that have caught in her lashes. Her cheeks are pink from the bitter cold and rogue strands of blonde hair are curled around her face, sticking out from beneath her cream-coloured, knitted toque. "U-us? We?" she stutters. Her eyes are bright beneath the gaudy street lamps. The hope in the depths of their colour is breathtaking, making me feel guilty for not realizing her feelings sooner.

"Yeah," I reply with an honest conscience. Travelling with Pen would be my idea of a perfect vacation. She's adventurous and isn't afraid to take risks—as long as they're logical. "Don't you think it would be fun?"

"Yes," she nods. The colour deepens, turning her pink cheeks a shade of scarlet.

Her embarrassment causes a chain reaction, causing my cheeks to heat. I've been trying to work up the courage to ask Pen out on a date since Halloween. After the night ended and we were free of our costumes, Pen went to bed before me. I stayed up well past midnight, calculating my options. I'd be stupid to not take that step. If Gemma had the courage to move her relationship status from "fake" to "real," then I can do the same. I can change my relationship status from "pondering" to "willing." Losing Pen as a friend terrifies me, but I don't want to go to the grave kicking myself for not taking the chance. Somehow, knowing she's in love with me increases the pressure I'm putting on myself. The last thing I want to do is disappoint.