15

Penelope

Penelope

"How long will it take for results?" Cassian asks me on Monday morning.

"Two weeks, give or take," I reply, watching my breath dissipate into the air. "I don't mind waiting. Besides, there are other chores to worry about." Rifling through my paper bag of baked goods, I remove Cassian's favourite muffin and my strudel. It's become a weekly trip to the bakery. "Here, eat your muffin. I can hear your stomach grumbling from here."

"Thanks, Pen," he smiles.

We're walking to work today. It's chilly, but walking alongside the lake is beautiful. Leaves are dancing with the breeze. Water is lapping against the shore. And the trail is empty, save for a few outliers. Autumn has set its roots in the Okanagan, and it brings a smile to my face. I'm ready for cardigans and leggings. Pumpkin spiced lattes and spiced vanilla candles. In the back of my mind, I plan Thanksgiving Dinner. I cast my gaze out over the lake, taking in the rolling mountains and clear blue sky. It's gorgeous here.

"You're welcome," I reply, patting his shoulder. "You'd starve without me around."

He contemplates my words for a moment and then laughs. "Cooking is easy, Pen, I'm just lazy."

"I know," I shrug. "I'm just teasing you. Oh! I forgot to ask, did Jake and Gemma make it home okay?"

"Yeah," he nods. "They're going to call later and gives us an update on the baby. What do you think they'll have?"

I step behind Cassian, giving the oncoming jogger enough room to pass us. "If I had my way, they'd have twins," I admit. "A boy and a girl. But seeing as the probability they're only having one baby is much higher, I'd say a boy."

Cassian snorts. "I bet you fifty dollars they're having a girl. Let me tell you something, Pen. Jake knows how to raise a girl. I'd say he's been praying for one since the moment he found out Gemma was pregnant." He holds out his hand, and I take it. Bets are always fun. The feel of his soft hand around mine is a bonus. Sometimes, I dream of walking with his hand in mine. To take him sightseeing around the Okanagan and pull him to fruit stands and wineries and other swimming locations where the Ogopogo can't eat me.

"Deal," I reply. "Fifty dollars on the line."

"You're going to lose," he replies in a singsong voice.

"Doubt that," I snort.

"How does it go?" he frowns. "Salty and savoury foods mean you're having a boy, and chocolate and sweet foods mean you're having a girl?"

I nudge him with my elbow. "That's a myth. Anyway, how was the sendoff for Jake and Gemma? You were nice to them, right?"

Cassian kicks a rock from the paved pathway into the water. It lands with a feeble splash that makes me shift a little closer to Cassian. I don't like how close I am to the water. "I treated them better than they deserved," he says.