iv. been here before

CHAPTER FOUR:BEEN HERE BEFORE

CHAPTER FOUR:
BEEN HERE BEFORE

■ ■ ■ ■

SOME DAYS WERE HARDER than others for Ofelia Torres. Not that she'd ever admit it (though judging by the frown Edward wore around her lately, he already knew) but her control was being stretched to its limits by little Renesmee and the wolves -- well, the wolves after she managed to get past the stench of wet dog that followed them everywhere they went. Don't get her wrong, Ofelia knew how to keep her bloodlust under wraps, but with a hyperactive child running rings around her for hours on end, the constant burning in her throat was starting to annoy her.

So one morning after watching Renesmee almost trip and scrape her arm on a rock, Ofelia sought out Jasper in the Cullens' miniature mansion. She found him in Esme's library, his head resting against the glass of the bay window with his eyes focused on the words of a thick leather-bound book. He was the only person she trusted with what she was about to ask.

"Hey, Jas," she greeted as she stepped into the wide open room. The nickname came to her naturally now, though she hadn't noticed she was using it again (he definitely had, but he was willing to pretend like nothing had changed between them if it meant she'd keep on saying his name like that.) "Do you have a minute?"

"I suppose," he hummed, sitting up properly and closing his book to give her his full attention. "Is something wrong?"

"I was wondering if you could take me hunting," she said. "Peter and Charlotte just left, I didn't think I needed to go with them so I told them no, but uh -- I think it's best if I go."

Jasper was aware she was struggling. She tried to hide it but he saw it in the way her hands curled into fists whenever Renesmee's head beat particularly fast, in the way her eyes glowed like hot coals. Speaking of her eyes... "Uh, Ofelia, there's just one problem in me taking you..."

Ofelia frowned in confusion, prompting him to sigh and point towards his eyes. Realisation quickly dawned on her. "Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't implying that you had to... or anything, I was just wondering if you could drive me out since I promised the wolves not to hunt in Forks."

Before he was able to respond, someone was clearing their throat behind them. Edward had seemingly followed Ofelia up the stairs, his brows furrowed as he heard the contents of their conversation. "Are you sure that's a good idea, Ofelia? We wouldn't want Jasper to slip."

"I won't," Jasper interjected quickly. He rose to his feet, making his way across the room to place the book back in its designated spot.

"Jasper," Edward trailed off, unsure. "How about I take you instead, Ofelia?"

"Hey, don't worry about it. I don't want to make either of you uncomfortable." Ofelia's eyes were earnest as they met his but Jasper could see she was uneasy. Ofelia wouldn't hunt in front of anyone anymore. Even when she went with Peter and Charlotte, she made sure to stay away from them. Regardless of how welcoming they were, she wouldn't trust any of the Cullens within ten miles of her.