v. common enemy

CHAPTER FIVE:COMMON ENEMY

CHAPTER FIVE:
COMMON ENEMY

■ ■ ■ ■

TO DEFEAT YOUR ENEMY, you must know their greatest weakness. Through observation, searching for a pattern, poking and prodding at chinks in their armour until you finally find a bruise to irritate. Then, you strike, over and over until they're on their knees begging for mercy and you're shaking from the victory.

Emmett Cullen's weakness, as it so happened, was overconfidence. He put up a good fight, that Ofelia acknowledged, but where someone like Jasper would hold back and watch, Emmett rushed in with tunnel vision. He didn't think to protect his weak spots; rather, he added an extra layer of defence to the places he already knew were strong. And that was how Ofelia always defeated him. Where he aimed for her head and her torso with carelessly swung arms, she knocked his feet out from beneath him. When he decided to switch it up and focus on her legs, she went for the side of his jaw, the soft place where bone met the flesh of his neck. Countless times, the brawny Emmett Cullen ended up on his knees before Ofelia, the Torres girl grinning with triumph.

And to say Emmett was getting frustrated with her would be one massive understatement.

"Again!" he roared for the seventh time in a row, his thick brows furrowed into a scowl as he pushed himself back up. His previously white muscle tee was stained with splotches of dirt and grass, a sight that would send Alice crazy if she was there to see it. If anything, this only served to amuse Ofelia, who cackled as he huffed and puffed angrily.

"You're trying awfully hard to embarrass yourself, Cullen," she muttered. Her smirk widened as Jasper and a few onlookers chuckled at her words. They'd been training for an hour now, and while they were originally annoyed that Emmett was taking up so much of Ofelia's time when they were supposed to get their own turns against her, the muscled boy's reactions were proving to be a nice distraction for why they were training in the first place.

"Again," Emmett repeated like it was the only word he knew.

And before Ofelia could so much as protest, he charged at her in a way that reminded her of a bull chasing a red flag. With a roll of her eyes, she stepped to the left, unable to hold back her roar of laughter as she swung out her right leg and hooked her shoe around his ankle. Emmett's face met the dirt quite comically and he laid there for a moment, finally beginning to realise that Ofelia Torres was someone he would never be able to beat.

What a long way she had come.

"Give up yet?" she murmured as she kneeled beside him.

He sat up, brushing dirt out of his curls. While the stubborn part of him told him to get back up and go again, the logical part told him to cut his losses with the little dignity he had left. "Fine."

"About time," Kate spoke up from where she was sitting on a tree log a few feet away. On one side of her was Edward, who grinned at whatever Emmett happened to be thinking, and on the other was Bella, her red eyes wide as she stared at Ofelia in a new light. "That was getting hard to watch."