there

"Let me get this straight," Annabeth said. Percy could feel the tension radiating off of her, like heat on an August afternoon. Side trips weren't part of Annabeth's plan, but then again, nothing on this quest seemed to be. "We need to go to a town called Split because Jason and Reyna made a promise to, even though there might be nothing there?"

"And Daria," Piper added. "I know I'm not really selling it, but she said Nico would know more about it." All eyes shifted to the youngest member of their group.

"Nico?" Hazel asked gently, as if he was a few harsh words away from shattering. Percy had sympathy for the guy, but he was tougher than he looked. "What's in Croatia?"

The crew was all gathered for breakfast, leaving Coach Hedge to man the helm once again; though, out of all of them, Percy figured the satyr was in the best mind set. He wondered if his empathy link with Grover was making him appreciate Coach more than would have.

"I'm assuming," Nico leaned on the table, his multitude of rings glinting in the light. "They meant to visit Diocletian's Palace, that's the only thing that's in Croatia, really."

"Dalmatians," Leo squinted. "Like the Disney movie?"

"Yeah," Percy agreed. "I got nothing, why was this guy so important?"

Both Annabeth and Frank wheeled on him. "He was the last great Pagan emperor!" Frank exclaimed; Percy's girlfriend nodding fervently next to him.

Leo rolled his eyes. "Why am I not surprised you know that?"

"They taught us about him at Camp Jupiter," Hazel explained. "He was a huge villain, alongside Nero and Caligula."

Percy frowned. "So why would we want to visit there?"

"Well," Nico said dryly. "If you would let me finish, then you all would know."

Percy leaned back in his seat, both tough and annoying.

Nico inhaled, as if he was about to start ranting. "Well, it's said to be haunted by the ghost of Diocletian. Supposedly Diocletian's sceptre could summon the ghosts of the Roman legions, any of them who worshipped the old gods."

"An army?" Frank asked, suspicious.

Leo whistled, "listen, if we have a kickass army on our side at the House of Hades, I'm all for dietitians."

"Diocletian."

"We have the time," Percy nodded. He was pretty sure he just jinxed them by saying that, but it was true. For the last few days, Percy had been teaching Piper how to use a sword in their free time. Frank and Annabeth discussed books they had read over cups of coffee. Leo and Hazel...did whatever Leo and Hazel did that was almost flirting but not quite.

Annabeth hesitated. "It's not, you know, a-"

Nico scowled, "yeah, I'm sure Daria had time to set a trap for us before she fell into Tartarus. Come off it, Annabeth."

Percy started forward, ready to defend her, but she placed a hand on his arm. "You're right," she shook her head, a wane smile playing on her lips. "I apologize." She made eye-contact with Nico for a while, something that Percy couldn't understand.

"Right," Piper said finally. "Looking for the sceptre is worth a try. While we're at the palace, I can leave a message for Reyna, letting her know the route we're taking for Epirus."

"You'll need my help," Nico raised a challenging eyebrow. "There are ghosts."

Piper simply nodded, unperturbed. "Of course."