this

The cave wasn't that comfortable, but it was safe, and Daria had never been more grateful that she wasn't claustrophobic.

But that's where her thanks stopped. The fire water had closed Jason's wound, though he still winced ever so often. Daria supposed she should be more appreciative that the love of her life wasn't bleeding out anymore, but she didn't like seeing him in pain, especially when he stupidly tried to hide it.

They were currently resting in a small crevice a couple of hundred feet from the river. With Daria's powers, she made it more secure, and unless there was a monster with x-ray vision, they would be safe for a while.

Jason was asleep on her lap, breathing in deeply and shivering even in the oppressive heat. He had protested when Daria offered to take the first watch, but his face was pale and there was no way Jason Grace son of Jupiter would be able to keep calm in a space that was only two meters wide. Even then, she didn't plan on waking him up; she didn't want to sleep and see Gaea.

She ran her fingers through Jason's fine hair; it had a light sheen of dust on it and Daria felt a bit like a monkey grooming her child. The blond strands were longer than she was used to, but the repetitive motion still calmed her down.

Daria's heart clenched; she would give her life over and over again for Jason's. Even though he was asleep, she found herself talking aloud to him, her most trusted confidant. "I don't know what I'm doing here, Jace. It seems like everything I touch turns to ash, Percy's mad at me, Frank's mad at me, and I can't help but think that I deserve it. I mean, my mother is an evil, chilling, goddess. Maybe it runs in my blood."

These ponderings weren't new, and Daria falling asleep before him was rare in itself. Earlier, she had realized that along with her glasses, she didn't have her medicine. Now, her stomach ached a little, her hands shook, and she couldn't imagine that she would ever get the rest that her boyfriend would.

"I know you're upset with me," Daria bit the inside of her cheek. "Any rational person would be, Gaea's a pretty big secret, and I know you want to trust that I know what I'm doing but I never really have before; I suppose you know that too."

"I'm pretty sure everyone thinks I'm leading you on," she kept talking, if only because he wasn't awake to hear her. "Maybe it's more along the lines of I don't deserve you, that's probably true. You deserve better than me, you and Reyna both. Honestly, what am I doing trying to save the world? I break everything. I'm...I'm literally the worst type of person. Oh my god."

Jason snored softly in response.

"I'm sorry," she resumed her fiddling. "That got kinda morbid. But you know me, always panicked over nothing."

She wondered if there were monsters that could hear her, like they were listening to her dramatic monologue with handkerchiefs. Maybe they would all hug it out before they killed her.

"I can't believe Krios was the good old days." She smiled wanly, "though you would probably disagree, I still think that was our peak as a friend group, the 7 of us. You know Reyna misses you, she never stopped searching, always took heat from the Senate. I know you guys drifted apart, but once we get out of here, give her a call."

That brought back her original worry-would they get out of here? She didn't think she could live without her best friend, and she didn't really want to find out if that was true. Still, she squeezed his hand, too light to wake him, if it came down to it she would jump in front of the gun. Everytime.

"You're asleep, so hopefully you can't hear this. If you do, well, that's eavesdropping. But Jupiter, if you're listening, I haven't learned my lesson. Deal with me to save your son's life," she had to concentrate to keep her tone in check. "You know what I would sacrifice. I know the gods reach doesn't extend to Tartarus, but keep Jason alive, and I'll do anything."