love

Daria stood in the forest, prepared to speak to Gaea for the first time in 18 days. The wind rustled her hair, but Daria wasn't cold. She remained still, only looking around at the familiar scenery as the ghostly white figure approached her.

Daria, my dear, Gaea purred, reaching out to stroke her face again. Her dirty fingernails traced Daria's cheek and she pretended to shiver at the touch. Welcome home.

Daria sniffed, her lip was trembling and there were tears pricking at her eyes. Maybe she was scared. "You should have seen us, mother." She let some tears trickle down her face slowly. "I almost died."

Child, the goddess floated around Daria, her white dress flowing behind her. You can't die. Not while I'm still here.

"But..." Daria's eyes were wide. She looked around, trying to catch up with Gaea's dance. "They said you had no control down there. My dad..."

Yes, she murmured. I apologize, my insolent sons were never supposed to target you, my dear.

No, Daria thought. Just my boyfriend. "Oh, it was horrible. I, what if they come back for revenge?" A sob passed through her body. She didn't want to die.

Silly Daria, Gaea crooned. Silly, lovely, little thing. You can't die anymore than I can.

"What do you mean?" She asked. Gaea hesitated. "Mother, I have pledged my life to you. Please," her eyes glinted. "If I know how to prevent my own death, I can turn against the others."

You plan to abandon your friends? Gaea asked suspiciously. Even your precious Jason?

"They are no friends of mine," she spat. "They don't trust me. All Jason does is snap at me for saving his life. Mother please, I want to join you. But," she wilted. "I'm, I'm scared. They're still some of the most powerful demigods in the world."

Oh child, she was speaking to Daria but her mind was somewhere else. Someone would have to drain your life force, a child of Pluto perhaps. But no matter, it's suicide, if the pain doesn't destroy them first.

"Drain my life force?"

Yes, yes, she waved her off. We are the earth, darling girl. It can't be taught, but I suppose destruction comes easy to the children of those bastard gods, she spat.

The forest started shaking, an earthquake, one that was uprooting trees and causing a mudslide on the mountain several miles in the distance. Gaea whirled around in surprise. What is going on? She shrieked.

Daria looked at her cooly. "Dear me, I believe you've been double-crossed."

Gaea looked at her in horror and disbelief, which Daria found annoying. She made the ground shake harder; Gaea stumbled. Impossible, she yelped. I am all powerful! I can see inside your mind.

Daria raised an eyebrow. "You idiot," she snarled. "You heard what I wanted you to hear. I'm one of the most powerful demigods in the world. Do you think the gods are cowards?" She took a step closer, "did you really think, for so long, that I was afraid of you?"

Gaea lashed at her, but Daria simply trapped her in her own element so that she looked like a fish out of water, which she most decisively was not. But your powers! She squawked out.

"I'm a fast learner."

And your conversation with Sam!

"You used Sam to mess with Jason," Daria shrugged. "But I figured something was up. And I'm a pretty good actress." She forced herself not to think any more of her father; she didn't know if, even in her raging state, she could take it.