want

It was when they reached the edge of the cliff that Jason realized how sucky this place was.

The ledge was more than eighty feet high, and it didn't even come with a good view. The bottom was a nightmarish version of the Grand Canyon, the glowing red current of the River of Fire casting horrible shadows across the cliff faces.

Great spot to take a girl, Jason thought. Super romantic.

Even from so far away, he could feel the heat. The chill of the River Cocytus still hadn't left his bones, but now his face felt raw and sunburnt, like he had just gotten out of the pool on a hot summer's day, except significantly worse.

Assuming they could make it down to the fiery river, which he doubted, his plan seemed certifiably insane.

"We could try that spot over there," Daria offered, though she didn't say they'd be crazy to try, which was nice; even if it was an empty gesture. "Looks like it's got enough handholds."

Another thing he appreciated: their dynamic. Jason was a planner, he read everything there was to read at the camp library, he paid attention in Monster Identification when Daria most certainly did not. And Daria was a tactician, she planned strategies, the fastest way to get from point A to point B. They were both well versed with a sword, and they were both well versed in each other.

Jason sighed, about to climb over the ledge when Daria grabbed his hand, pulling him back up.

"Jay," she smiled in the way she did when she thought something was ridiculous, which was to say, adorably. "We're idiots. Can't you just fly us down?"

"This," he said, wrapping his arms around her waist. "Is why I love you."

"And why you're glad I'm down here with you?"

"Let's not push it," they flew down, staying closer to the rocky cliff for camouflage. So he could fly down, but, could he push through Gaea's force enough to fly back up? "Hey, I don't suppose you brought your glasses with you to hell."

She poked him in the stomach. "I already thought of that. But alas," she put a hand on her forehead for dramatism and Jason wanted to tell her not to squirm so much or he would drop her. But, seeing as she had a small fear of heights, that would probably be the worst response. "I'm stuck in these contacts, how will I continue?"

"Alright, alright," he grumbled.

They touched ground stumbling. One of the things, actually the only thing, Jason hated about Daria was her inability to take care of herself. It wasn't like she would wave it off or put on a brave face, she just...genuinely forgot that at some point everything would shut down.

She swayed and Jason jerkily grabbed her arm. He was alarmed by how feverish she felt, "just to the river," he placed a kiss on her forehead. "We can do this." Daria's eyes were glazed but she nodded, determined.

They staggered over slick glass ledges, around massive boulders, avoiding stalagmites that would've impaled them with any slip of the foot. Their tattered clothes steamed from the heat of the river, but they kept going until they crumpled to their knees at the banks of the Phlegethon.

"Okay, we have to drink," Jason announced.

Daria blinked, it took her three counts to respond. "Drink fire?"

"The Phlegethon flows from Hades's realm down into Tartarus." Jason could barely talk. His throat was closing up from the heat and the acidic air. "The river is used to punish the wicked. But also ... some legends call it the River of Healing."

"I-some legends?"

Jason shut his eyes, trying to stay conscious. "Jesus, Daria, did you ever pay attention to anything except for poetry?"