THE LAST TRACK

The helicopter's noise didn't reach Chase at all. Neither did the sights of Santa Infierno. They flew high enough to survey of the damage done, but sections of the city still had pink and blue lights to their name. At most, the boy moved to get a better look at the ocean behind him. It didn't help. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't see any more traces of Gallium Bay.

Wallace cleared his throat for the twentieth time. That pulled Chase's eye back to the pilot seat, but it didn't last. Once again, the cop couldn't offer a single word; at most, he only squeezed out some inelegant sounds. That gave him a massive edge over his copilot. Ed did everything she could to avoid acknowledging Chase even sat there. He wondered if her drunken rage still blinded her, but the longer he looked, the more he thought otherwise. He may have sat in the row behind her, but he had a clear enough view of her limp, deflated form. She could have passed for a puppet tossed into a trash can.

Chase stopped looking at her before he plunged into a depression. He looked out the window instead -- out, and down, as Wallace started the helicopter's descent toward a beachside helipad. Normally, the sight of the two that hailed him down would have lifted his spirits. But at that moment, he would have preferred going to sleep forever.

***

Silence reigned as Chase leaned against the car door. He welcomed it. By his guess, the alternative would have been riots and mass hysteria in the streets. But inside or out, everything had gone quiet; at most, only some awkward coughing from Lou and the rumble of his engine dared to disturb it. To celebrate, the boy sat there and watched as one street lamp after another streaked by.

No one said a word. Not even Ash. At best, the two of them shared fleeting glances. At worst, she refused to look at anything besides whatever zoomed past her window. Chase didn't blame her. He didn't feel like dealing with her jokes, but more than anything, he expected her to lash out. Tell him off. Rage, insult, shout down. Yet she didn't. At all.

The car's gradual halt took Chase by surprise. He looked up and saw Lou had parked right next to his building; his home, and Kira, were minutes away. "Well. We're here," said Lou. "End of the line."

Chase nodded at him.

"Hey. Uh -- I know it's not much, but --" Lou handed Chase a lollipop. Watermelon-flavored. "Nothing cheers kids up like candy, right?"

Chase stared blankly at the lollipop.

"Okay, never mind. Just -- we'll talk tomorrow, then. See ya."

That got another nod from Chase, but no words. He opened the door and started to slide out like hot syrup. He didn't get far. Ash leaned over and clutched his hand tight, with that lollipop forced into his grip. Even though he looked back at her, she didn't say a word. Neither did he. He'd never seen her make that face before -- so distraught, yet sincere, and as warm as her hand. He hoped he'd never have to see it again. But before long, he clasped her hand right back -- tight, with fingers entwined, for seconds that wore on and on.

When they broke their grip, he took Lou's lollipop. Shut the door. Waved goodbye as they drove off. And, thankfully, came one step closer to ending the longest night of his life.

***

No matter how hard he tried, the words didn't come to Chase. He let out another long sigh as he made his trek through the complex. Through the halls. Up the stairs. Past doors, even though it felt as if he waded through a swamp.

He knew who waited for him. When he made it through, what could he say? What could he do? He couldn't decide, partly -- if not mostly -- because he didn't want to think anymore. He'd done enough for ten lifetimes. But no matter what ran through him, and no matter how much he dragged his body along, he made it eventually. He opened his door and shut it behind him -- while Kira sat directly across from him, arms folded tight and legs crossed.