Eighteen.

Xenophilius Lovegood stared at Hermione's with a confused expression ridden across his features as she sat down at his table.

He stared at her while handing her tea in a blue mug. He continued to stare at her while he opened a wooden cabinet and pulled out a variation of bottles and creams and instruments; one being a small knife. It had a green twinge to its blade, making it daze beneath the warm light from his chandelier that was made from shells she assumed were found on a beach.

"You are Hermione Granger." He said, his voice on the edge of sounding wavered. He reached into another cabinet above the sink and began stuffing his hands into it. "Potter's friend. The Mudblood."

She knew he meant no offence. It still stung.

"Yes, sir, we met during the wedding at the Burrow." She nodded, taking a sip of her drink and almost gagging at the taste. "I'm sorry for the sudden intrusion."

Hermione ignored the daggers that were pointing at her from Draco's eyes on the chair beside her.

Xenophilius pursed his lips into a thin line before spinning on his feet and glaring out of the window. Hermione could practically hear his brain trying to piece the information together. Working like a clog. She knew he questioned why she was in the company of Draco Malfoy.

"You smell like Dark Magic, child." He spoke after several seconds. Hermione could see his fingers gripping the edge of the sink. "I-i hope you haven't chosen to betray the Order and Potter."

Hermione felt herself pale.

"No!" She hadn't meant to speak so loudly. Xenophilius turned back towards her and Draco and sat opposite them. "I would never. I just-I just...it's rather hard to explain."

Xenophilius hummed and let his palm fall against the table, an unspoken gesture that seemed to fall towards Draco, because Draco was pulling off his jacket and placing a bare forearm on the table.

His Dark Mark was drenched onto his skin. Thick and black like a bruise glaring beneath the light.

"You can't blame me for asking, Miss Granger. You arrive at my house with black hair and a brittle appearance whilst smelling like the effects of bad magic?" Xenophilius spoke, keeping his voice passive as he opened an orange potion and smeared it across the mark on Draco's arm. "You also arrive in the company of Draco Malfoy. I had expected you to be with Harry Potter."

Draco did not speak. His eyes were trained carefully to every movement Xenophilius made, every twitch of his fingers, every breath he took. Draco watched.

"I understand your concerns, Mr Lovegood." Hermione tried to force more tea down with a small sip to seem polite. "I can assure you I have not joined the Dark Army."

There was a silence for several seconds.

"I am in Malfoy's company to assure safety for both of us."

He nodded as he took the green blade and dipped it into a small dish, coating it in a liliac cream.

She heard Draco suck a breath in through his nose moments before Xenophilius began to sink the tip of the blade into the area of pale skin beside the Dark Mark.

Hermione winced and tore her eyes away to let them land on Draco's other hand, which was gripping the base of her seat so hard his knuckles looked like they were about to break.

She desperately tried to ignore how his ankle had wrapped it's way around her own.

Because that was not usual.

Xenophilius pulled the blade out and moved it to the opposite side of the mark, whispering spells and enchantments beneath his breath.

"And is there any reason you have decided to visit my home, Miss Granger?" Xenophilius spoke over Draco's muted grunts of discomfort. "Are you also here to stop the trace?"