Chapter 21

Dad said" So, this is it. This is everything I know. Our whole lives we've been searching for this demon, right? Not a trace, just nothing, until about a year ago. For the first time, I picked up a trail."
Dean said" That's when you took off."
" Yeah. That's right. The demon must have come out of hiding or hibernation."
" All right, so, what's this trail you found?"
" It starts in Arizona, then New Jersey, California. Houses burn down to the ground. It's going after families, just like it went after us.
Sam said" Families with infants?"
" Yeah, the night of the kid's 6-month birthday."
" I was 6 months old that night?"
" Exactly 6 months."
" So, basically, this demon is going after these kids for some reason, same way it came for me? So mom's death, Jessica- it's all 'cause of me?"
Dean said" We don't know that, Sam."
" Oh, really 'cause I'd say we're pretty damn sure, Dean!"
" For the last time, what happened to them is not your fault."
" Yeah, you're right. It's not my fault, but it's my problem!"
" No, it's not your problem, it's our problem!"
Dad said" Okay, that's enough."
Sam said" So, what is it doing it? What does it want?"
" I wish I had more answers. I do. I've always been one step behind it. Look, I've never gotten there in time to save..."
Dean said" All right, so, how do we find it before it hits again?"
" There are signs. Look, it took me a while to see the pattern, but in the days before these fires, signs crop up in an area- cattle deaths, temperature fluctuations, electrical storms. And then I went back and checked, and..."
" These things happened in Lawrence."
" The week before your mother died. And in Palo Alto... before Jessica. And these signs- they're starting again."
Sam said" Where?"
" Salvation, Iowa."
——
Dad pulled over onto a side road, we followed him then Sam and Dean got out.

Once we got into the town, we pulled up to a local kid place, I looked at Sam and Dean.
Dean said" Here's 20, don't go crazy. I'll be back to pick you up in a few hours, okay?" I shook my head," Riv, it's-" He sighed," It's only a few hours, okay? I'll pick you up right here. It's crowded, a lot of parents with kids, no one's gonna mess with you. Stay inside." My lip shook but I got out of the car, staring at them,
Sam said" It's okay, River, we'll be back soon, go inside. We'll watch you go in." I gulped then turned around, walking inside, I turned around and saw the car drive away slowly.
I saw games, an indoor play set, and a food bar. I sighed, and walked to the token machine, I put 5 dollars in and got the tokens. I walked to the games and found an easy one, I started shooting balloons with water.

It's only been 30 minutes and I miss my brothers, I pouted then sat down, staring at all the other kids with their families and friends. I don't have any friends, we never stay in a place long enough to make friends. Then someone sat across from me, I looked at them and saw Meg, I gulped, she smirked as she looked at me. I tried to get away, but she lifted me up, I squirmed in her arms, grunting as I tried to get away.
She said" Make a scene, sweetie... and I just go ahead and kill everyone." I stopped," That's what I thought you'd do, come on, we need to have a little chat with someone really special with your family." My lip started shaking, I tried to stop but I'm scared and I want my brothers to save me.

We appeared in this warehouse, Meg sat me down in a chair, I was shaking, I don't wanna die, I don't wanna leave my brothers.
After a few minutes, A man came out of the shadows, I stared at him, who is that?
He said" This is the youngest Winchester?"
Meg said" River. He's 4 years old. Sam told me all about him." The man's eyes turned yellow, I gasped and flinched." He's been mute since mommy was killed in front of him. And it hurts his brothers to see him like this."
" Hello, River. I'm Azazel." I lowered my head as he got closer to me," I know a lot of things, but I'd love for you to fill in the blanks." I shook my head quickly, and kicked his chest, he fell back. He's the demon. The one who killed my brother's mommy and Jessica. Then he stood up and grabbed my by my shirt, raising me in the air, I yelped and cried." Mm, maybe you're useless, I mean... you were raised by your oldest brother. Daddy doesn't give a damn about you, you were a mistake! He even tried to get rid of you when he first found you, but Dean took the mantle of being a daddy to you. Bet if John had to choose between one of his boys or you, he's choose one of his boys." He threw me down, I yelped as I hit the concrete hard." Take him back. Make sure he won't write a word." Meg grabbed me again," Hold on." He got up into my face," They can't stop me, and I bet you're scared that your big brothers are gonna die, maybe you should be more concerned about yourself, I mean... you're so easy to kill." He gripped my chin in his hand, I screamed," And so frightened." I yelped, He let go of me and Meg walked away. She was a demon too, that's scary and surprising.