Chapter 3

I yawned as Sam walked to Dean, holding my hand,
Sam said" Just the check, please." He sat down and lifted me up, putting me in the seat next to him.
Dean said" You know, Sam, we are allowed to have fun once in a while. That's fun. Here, take a look at this. I think I got one. Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin. Last week, Sophie Carlton, 18, walks into the lake, doesn't walk out. Authorities dragged the water- nothing. Sophie Carlton is the third Lake Manitoc drowning this year. None of the other bodies were found, either. They had a funeral two days ago."
" A funeral?"
" Yeah, it's weird. They buried an empty coffin for closure or whatever." I scratched my ear and nuzzled my face against Coco's, my tummy didn't feel good. I should tell Dean, he gives me medicine that makes my tummy feel better.
I was lifted up as they stood up, Dean was carrying me. He put me down at the car, I leaned over and puked,
He said" Whoa, dude." I tripped, he caught me and held me so my face was down." You okay, bud?" I shook my head, I puked again," What's got your stomach all messed up? What'd he eat?"
Sam said" Uh... I don't know, I think a muffin and orange juice."
" Here, just hold him like this. Give me a second." Sam held me like Dean was, Dean walked to the trunk. Then Dean put a spoon to my lips, I drank the stuff on the spoon." Give him a second." I felt a little better, I stood up on my own," There we go! Better, bud?" I nodded," All right, let's hit the road." Sam put me into the backseat with my blankie and Coco, I yawned and closed my eyes, falling asleep.
——
I was on the floor of the car, playing with Dino, they were talking to someone about the case.

They were inside the police station, I was outside, playing with Coco. A woman and boy walked past me, the woman stopped,
She said" Hi, sweetie. What's your name?" I smiled," Why don't you come with us, huh?" She held out her hand, I stood up and held her hand as we walked in.
We walked in, I saw Sam and Dean,
She said" Sorry, am I interrupting?" Sam and Dean stood up," I can come back later."
A man said" Gentlemen, this is my daughter."
Dean said" It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Dean."
The woman said" Andrea Bar. Hi." I let go of her hand and walked to Sam, stretching my arms up and bouncing a little. Sam lifted me up, I started playing with his hair, then his ears, he smiled at me.
The man said" They're from the wildlife service about the lake."
" Oh." The boy came out from behind Andrea,
Dean said" Oh, hey, there. What's your name?" He walked away, Andrea followed,
The man said" His name is Lucas."
Sam said" Is he okay?"
" My grandson's been through a lot. We all have. Well, if there's anything else I can do for you, please let me know."
Dean said" Thanks." We walked out of the office," You know, now that you mentioned it, could you point us in the direction of a reasonably priced motel?"
Andrea said" Lakefront motel- go around the corner, it's two blocks up."
" Two- would you mind showing us."
" You want me to walk you two blocks?" Sam made an annoyed face, I poked his nose, which caused him to scrunch up his nose. I smiled and poked his nose again, but he didn't scrunch up his face.
" Not if it's any trouble."
" I'm headed that way anyway. I'll be back to pick up Lucas at 3:00. We'll go to the park, okay, sweetie?"

We were walking,
Dean said" So cute kid."
Andrea said" Thanks. Yours too."
" Kids are the best, huh?"
" There it is. Like I said, two blocks."
Sam said" Thanks."
" Must be hard with your sense of direction, never being able to find your way to a decent pickup line." She walked away," Enjoy your stay."
" Kids are the best. You don't even like kids, except for River."
Dean said" I love kids."
" Name three children that you even know. Not including River." Dean stood there, I smiled, Sam grabbed my hand and we walked away.
" I'm thinking."

We were in a motel room, I was jumping on a bed, holding Coco in my arms.
Sam said" So there's the three drowning victims this year."
Dean said" And before that?"
" Yeah, six more, spread out over the past 35 years. Those bodies were never recovered, either. If there is something out there, it's picking up its pace."
" So we got a lake monster on a binge?"
" This whole lake monster theory- it just bugs me."
" Why?"
" Loch Ness, Lake Champlain- There are literally hundreds of eyewitness accounts, but here, almost nothing. Whatever it is out there, no one's living to talk about it."
" Wait, Bar, Christopher Bar- where have I heard that name before?"
" Christopher Bar, the victim in May. Christopher Bar was Andrea's husband, Lucas' father. Apparently, he took Lucas out swimming. Lucas was on a floating wooden platform when Chris drowned. Two hours before the kid got rescued. Maybe we have an eyewitness after all."
" No wonder that kid was so freaked out. Watching one of your parents die isn't something you just get over." Then he looked at me, Sam did too, I tilted my head,
" Nothing, River, what're you doing anyway?" I bounced again,
" I think he needs to run off some energy before we decide to handcuff him to the bed."