xxii. avery interference

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO, avery interference 

✦ ✧ ✦ ✧

SIRUS BLACK HAD A lot of things on his plate. There was so much he had going on, he wrote a to-do list on his hand so he wouldn't forget:

1. Order more fireworks from Zonkos

2. Refill the chocolate I stole from Remus

3. Send a thank you letter to Mia for the fudge squares

4. Get my best friends together

Though a lot of those were yet to be completed due to the boy's notorious procrastinating habits, the last was what he was most focused on. He knew after Delilah's confession to him that the thing that would make both her and James the happiest was to be together. There was just a couple problems with that. 

The first was that neither thought they were good enough for the other, which was a total headache of lies to Sirius. James though that Delilah was too pure and beautiful for him, where Delilah thought James was too popular to ever want to be with her. It was a mess of running around in mental circles for Sirius. 

Second, there was the issue that neither had the courage to tell the other, even if they thought they were good enough. He already knew this much from James, who had taken a drastic one-eighty in his strategy with girls with transitioning between Lily and Delilah. But he's not ashamed to admit he was surprised to hear it from Delilah. By his standards, she was definitely the most badass chick at Hogwarts, but, as he knew, feelings are scary. And Delilah feels that to the core. 

So even though the Zonko's product was delivered and a thank you note was sent out, Sirius felt all the less incomplete. He was just mindlessly running through scenarios in his head, stressing like no other. When did matchmaking get so difficult? He would really have to take up a new career after this was over. 

Currently, Sirius was sitting at a table in a dark corner of the library, his head in his hands, contemplating pros and cons of different scenarios. He could just tell one of them that the other liked them back, but that seemed like betrayal to his best friends. No, they had to be the ones to tell. Okay, now that he had that figured out, he just needed to figure out how to make that happen. Dead end. 

"You alright, Pads?" Sirius nearly jumped. His head snapped up, fully ready to tell James to leave him be, or he would spill and tell him anything. He was pleasantly surprised to see it was Remus. Sirius was so deep in his own head he hadn't even heard him approach.

"Hey Moony," Sirius said tiredly, rubbing his eyes. He hadn't necessarily been losing more sleep than he usually did over this, but all this thinking could really tire one out easily.