i. new beginnings

CHAPTER ONE, new beginnings 

✦ ✧ ✦ ✧

THE SUN SHONE THROUGH the huge windows that allowed the room to be filled with natural light. A girl sat on a tall stool near one of the glass panes, her eyes glued on a canvas that was already covered in paint. She had been staring out those windows all morning, capturing the beautiful colors of the sky. 

One of Delilah Longbottom's favorite things to paint are sunrises, and luckily she's an early riser, so it is more than doable for her. The brunette stared at the painting, her mouth fixed in a frown. Delilah inspected the canvas in the morning light, trying to figure out what was off with it. Something was wrong, but she couldn't pinpoint what. 

The girl sighed, and put her paintbrush into the murky water that was already full of brushes and colors. She decided she would have Frank look at in once he woke up. He always had a knack for helping her with her paintings and pointing out things she had missed. 

"Lilah!" her brother's voice rung out to her from the other side of the house, almost if on queue with her thoughts. "Where are you?" 

"In the studio!" Delilah replied loudly, her gaze still trained on the canvas.

Years ago, Delilah's love for art had proved to overtake her bedroom, so her parents had decided to convert one of the many guest bedrooms into a place for the girl to express her creative side. Delilah was gifted in many forms of art: drawings, sculptures, charcoal. But her favorite was painting. 

A few moments later, the door opened behind the girl, and her twin poked his head through. Frank Longbottom's head almost hit the top of the doorframe, in contrast to his twin who could barely touch it if she jumped. His dark brown hair was messy as always, and his light blue eyes that were identical to Delilah's stared his sister down. 

"Sunrise?" he asked, and Delilah nodded her head yes. "That's what I thought," he entered and went to sit on the couch against the wall, "September always has the best ones." 

"Most of the time, but December had some good ones last year," Delilah pointed out one of her canvases that was hanging on the wall. It was rays of sunshine poking through a snowy evergreen, which she painted at Hogwarts last year. 

"I still think this one is the best," Frank commented, pointing at the canvas next to him, which was a portrait of himself that she had done previously this summer. "Devilishly handsome." 

Delilah chuckled and shook her head, "That one's of you, dumbarse." 

"Doesn't mean it's not the best," her brother grinned at her. 

Delilah rolled her eyes and returned her attention back to her painting. She furrowed her eyebrows at it in confusion. "What's missing Frank?" she asked her brother without turning to him.