v. a brother's happiness

CHAPTER FIVE, a brother's happiness 

✦ ✧ ✦ ✧

DELILAH WALKED INTO THE Great Hall alone after a particularly long and confusing alchemy class. Normally she understood the class fine because she excelled in Potions, but that day she just couldn't grasp what Professor Morison was explaining. Delilah decided that she would just try and teach it to herself before her next class. At least she got to enjoy the leaves changing colors while she walked in between classes, wrapped up in her robes as the cold approached. 

The brunette plopped down at the Hufflepuff table exhausted, and laid her bag under the table. She was just about to conjure up a sandwich when she heard someone sit beside her. Delilah turned her head and found Alice sitting there.

"Hey Alice, what's up?" Delilah asked the girl, who normally didn't come over to the Hufflepuff table. 

"I think I'm going to do it," Alice said determined, her gaze forward. Delilah took a bite of the sandwich she got from the magical plate and looked confused. 

"Do what again?" she asked for clarification. 

"I'm going to ask your brother out," Alice elaborated, a small smile forming on her face. "I know it's not traditional, but you've been encouraging me to do it these last few weeks since I told you—" 

"No need to worry," Delilah interrupted excitedly, "I'm glad you are. Now, when he walks through those doors, you go straight to him, no questions asked," she paused, thinking of the irony of her words. "Well, one question asked, but to him." 

Alice nodded her head, staring at the doors, "Mmhmm," she sounded absentmindedly, then turned to Delilah. "What if he says no?" 

"He won't, I think I know my twin a little better than that," Delilah chimed. "You two are Gryffindors, why can't you just be emotionally brave?" she muttered to herself while Alice watched the doors like a hawk for the arrival of Delilah's brother. 

Delilah's attention was on her lunch when she heard Alice gasp loudly. the brunette looked up and sure enough, her brother had entered the room. "What are you waiting for, go!" Delilah encouraged her friend, and Alice initially hesitated, then got up and slowly made her way to the Gryffindor table.

James and his friends had entered the hall right after Frank, and Delilah made eye contact with him. She nodded her head towards Alice and a secret conversation passed through their expressions. When he understood what she was motioning at, the corners of his mouth turned into a grin and he followed his friends to sit down. 

The two of them had been planning for weeks of how to get the two together; even contemplating the idea of shoving them in a closet together. After almost a month of trying, they were just about to reach their goal. 

Delilah was watching Alice intently as she deliberated how to approach Frank from the end of the Gryffindor table. Delilah was watching so much in fact that she didn't notice someone sit beside her.