ch. 5 | like father, like son

11:00 AM

as wakahiko stepped through the same gates he did the day before, his heart was beating fast. he was extremely excited.

not only that but he was also really relieved. his camp finished early today, and that meant he would have more time to play with his favorite players.

you would let hiko bike back home before dark because he would tell you he practices after school with his "camp friends".

when he walked inside the gym he noticed ushijima practicing his spikes.

ushijima would always come earlier than everyone, to be able to practice longer.

he paused as he heard little footsteps running towards him.

his face softened when he realized who it was. he was still a bit baffled since yesterday, but he managed to contain it.

"HI AGAIN USHIWAKA!" hiko happily yelled out as he tightly hugged ushijimas leg for the second time in a row.

ushijima slightly smiled but then shaked it off and cleared his throat "hello". he mentally cursed himself for not knowing how to really talk to little kids.

wakahiko just giggled and let go, before walking over to the court that was next to ushijima.

"can you PLEASEE teach me how you do your service aces?! I want to be just like you when I get older! I WANNA BE CALLED THE BEST LEFT HANDED ACE!" wakahiko begged as he turned towards ushijima.

ushijima slightly smirked. didn't know why but he felt kind of happy inside. he usually wasn't good with kids, but hiko felt different. he didn't want to admit it, but deep down wakahiko's personality reminded him of you.

"yes, i can."

that made wakahiko so joyful that he looked as if he had just walked into a toy store.

"but, I want to see how you play first." ushijima said as hiko furiously nodded, before grabbing a volley ball off the ground and going behind the service line.

ushijima examined from the side as hiko took a few steps back, and then tossed the ball into the air before jumping and hitting it with his left hand, letting it swiftly float to the other side of the court.

least to say, ushijima was stunned. "you.. can do a jump float serve..?"

"yeah! I mean- heh, it was nothing!" wakahiko said as he puffed his chest, trying to seem unfazed.

"where did you learn how to do that?"

"OH! from my uncle tadashi! he went to.. uhm.. karasuno! I think..!" hiko replied, struggling to remember much about yamaguchi's past.

ushijima scoffed "ill teach you my serve now. its much more advanced than the serves from karasuno."

"OKAY!!" hiko yelled out as he excitedly stood next to ushijima, who ended up slightly pushing wakahiko further away from him to not get hurt.

hiko smiled and clapped as ushijima took a few steps back, getting ready to do his signature serve.

1:00 PM

just as the rest of schweiden adler's team, including coach suzaku, walked into the massive gym, they froze at the sight.

kageyama even had rubbed his eyes to check if he was seeing things correctly.

right before their eyes was wakahiko mastering ushiwaka's trademark serve continuously, as ushijima was passing volleyballs to him.

not only that, but they both had a fearfully devilish aura around them.

even hirugami was terrified.

u guys were so sweet in the last chapter's comments ily 😩💘

i rly hope im writing this well

comment & vote