NIGHTMARE MIST

THE STORM BROUGHT AN unexpected chill to the air as they travelled closer and closer towards Ramandu's Island, where she desperately hoped there would be a stable bed for her to sleep in, rather than the rocky hammock she had been resting in for the last few days.

The waves pounded at the wood of the boat, screaming under the dark and dangerous clouds which pattered more rain down upon the crew members, alongside the gusts of water that the wind threw their way. The birds that previously sat on the deck had been tossed like paper as they entered the stormy seas, tumbling against the gale in a flash of white and grey. The water was turbulent and unforgiving, darkness prevailing as the clouds thickened like a velvet cushion.

Crew members slipped on the rain-soaked deck, their hands raw from pulling the ropes as if they were in a great game of tug-of-war, panicked as the rain slammed into their faces like tiny stones. The ship was dwarfed against the swelling sea, knocking it side-to-side until each person was no longer anchored in place.

'So we're stuck here, at half-rations with food and water for two more weeks, maximum.' Lord Drinian was explaining in the Captain's Office, which seemed cozy and warm in comparison to the raging storm outside, flickers of lightning casting against the windows.

Caspian sat on the window seat, staying mobile as the sea rocked them back and forth, a dwelling expression on his face as he struggled to think against the vigorous waves. He turned to Edmund who stood a few feet away from him, clutching onto a small golden rail that hung against the ceiling, anchored to the floor. Drinian looked up with a strict expression.

'This is your last chance to turn back, your Majesties.' He said and Caspian sighed.

The time he had finally achieved a viable lead, it was lost, stolen from him and thrown into the waves and rocks below. He let out an angered groan in frustration, his mind circling around certain thoughts and plans that didn't seem to want to connect together.

'We continue.'

The boys turned towards the door, taking in the presence of the newest arrival.
Princess Catherine was dressed in a white, loose-fitting dress, her hair running down her back in it's natural waves that seemed to contrast the brashness of the ones outside.

Edmund's chest constricted as he fought off a smile, his lips twitching from her presence, and he looked away in hope to regain his original stance. Lord Drinian frowned, rocking on his feet to send her a look of disbelief, attempting to make her feel less inferior, if not stupid, for her remark.

'There's no guarantee we'll spot the Blue Star anytime soon, Princess, not in this storm.' Drinian argued. 'Needle in a haystack, trying to find this Ramandu place. We could sail right past it, and off the edge of the world.'

'Or get eaten by a Sea Serpent.' Edmund said, sarcastically, with a fake enthusiasm.

Lord Drinian looked up at him, unimpressed and Caspian shot him a tired look. Catherine let a small giggle pass his lips, which only caused the boy to bite back another smile, his teasing nature returning in her presence.

'I'm just saying that the men are getting nervous.' Lord Drinian continued. 'These are strange seas we're sailing... the likes of which I've never seen before.'

'Then perhaps, Captain, you would like to be the one to explain to Mr. Rhince that we're abandoning the search for his family.' Catherine said with a pointed look, tilting her head downwards and raising her eyebrows. Lord Drinian sighed, turning his head towards the stubborn girl with a defeated expression. She smirked, triumphantly and crossed her arms.

'I'll get back to it.' He said, clicking his jaw in discomfort. Drinian was not entirely too pleased that he had been overruled by the Princess, who looked overjoyed and smug at the idea. 'Just a word of warning, the sea can play nasty tricks on a crew's mind. Very nasty.'