Chapter 1

As I gathered my things from my desk, my mind wandered back to the weeks prior. Matthew had taken me to an amazing spot near the lake and finally proposed after 2 years of dating. Sure we had our fights, especially after he'd been drinking or smoking.. and maybe he'd hit me a few times, but I'm sure I deserved it. I shouldn't have angered him, or questioned why he was out with that woman. But.... I loved him, and I could look over those bad times. I smiled to myself, glancing down at the large diamond that adorned my left ring finger.

    Saying goodbye to my coworkers, I made my way out to my brand new Tesla, an engagement gift from Matthew. Of course I missed my old Chevy pickup I kept parked in the backyard, but this car was amazing. The light patter of rain quickly turned to a downpour as I pulled my door shut, turning up the heat. The winter cold was becoming eminent and certainly wasn't going to let up. I pulled out of the library's parking lot and started my 20minute drive to the small apartment that Matthew and I shared.

    My mind was racing with wedding plans. I had always dreamed of the day that I would finally be married to the love of my life. My Pinterest boards were full of rustic barn weddings with horses and daisies. Yet here I was planning a hipster wedding. Matthew insisted on wearing his joggers and SnapBack instead of a suit. He chose my wedding dress.... a very revealing sheath type dress. He wanted red roses and to give out joints as favors.. not caring about my absolute hatred of drugs. All I could do was say yes. I loved him. Maybe after we were married, things could change for the better.

    Pulling into the parking lot of our complex, it was no surprise that Matthew was home from work. He ran a large landscaping business, but had been missing quite a bit of work lately, leaving me to pick up the slack on our bills. It was ok though, he needed his rest. I grabbed my purse from the passenger seat and cracked my door open just enough to open my umbrella, stepping out into the freezing rain. I taking a breath, I ran through the parking lot, and up the stairs to our second floor apartment. Shaking out my yellow umbrella and stashing it on the rack by the door, I slipped my key into the door and stepped inside. I sighed and set my purse and keys down on the table and slipped my soaked shoes off onto the mat.

    As I made my way to the bedroom to change into some more comfortable clothes, I heard the sound that would scar me for the rest of my life. The loud moans and screams of pleasure and profanities that echoed through the apartment confirmed my worst fears. Slowly, I pushed the door open, only to be greeted by my best friends backside in the air as my fiance... the love of my life... railed her into our mattress. As silent tears fell, I stood there in shock. They both scrambled to cover themselves as I watched. As he got dressed, Matthew spoke.

    "See Lily? This is what you get when you don't do as you're told. I saw your search history! Looking at colleges?! I've told you over and over- you're too stupid for college! That why I slepted with Amber. Now. Go back to the kitchen and wait till I get back from dropping her off at home. And when I get back.... you'd best be ready for your punishment. It won't be pretty", he demanded as he pulled on a hoodie and wrapped an arm around my former best friend. Amber just giggled and gave a little wave and blew a sadistic kiss my way.

    Five minutes later, I was still standing in shock and hurt. I choked out a sob, running to the  bedroom and grabbing My old beat up duffel bag and suitcase . I tore open the dresser and closet, shoving all the clothes I could fit into the suitcase. I moved to the bathroom and dumped my shampoo, conditioner, and body wash into the duffel bag, along with my hair/skin care items. I threw on a rain jacket, making sure to layer a warm hoodie underneath, while shoving an extra hoodie into my bag. I put my soaked shoes into a trash bag along with my boots, slipping on a pair of rain boots as well. Before leaving, I grabbed my pillow and sleeping bag from the hall closet, just in case I had to sleep in the truck tonight. Feeling satisfied that I'd gotten everything I needed, I slipped the ring off my finger, setting it on the counter.... before picking it right back up and putting it in my pocket. It was a gift. I have the receipt. Sell or pawn.

    Fearing Matthew would return soon, I drug my bags out to my old truck, throwing them in the passenger seat. Slipping into the other side, I plugged my phone into the charger, and cranked up the heat. It didn't take long for me to remember that it didn't work very good, and pulled the over sized blanket out from behind my seat, wrapped it around my shoulders and legs. I tore out of the parking lot and just started driving. I figured I'd just drive till I was too tired to go on.

    Hitting the i-77, I was surprised to see there no traffic for once, and kept my foot to the gas pedal. Tears were still falling two hours later as I pulled into the near empty Waffle House. I was starving, not having realized that I'd not really rated all day. It was about 11:30pm, but I knew I didn't have a whole lot of time before Matthew would find me. I quickly made my way inside, sitting at a small booth and waited for service. An over weight older black woman made her way over with a note pad, sitting down across from me with an exhausted huff.

    "What can I get ya, baby", she asked with a friendly smile. She reminded me of the older black woman who lived across the landing of her apartment. She was always bringing over fresh baked goods when it was rainy.

    I cleared my throat and with a shaky breath replied," Umm... something cheap and fast. So I suppose just one egg and some toast, please. I'm in a bit of a hurry".

    "Honey that ain't gonna fill you up! Lemme add some bacon and grits to that. No charge. I got ya, baby doll." She smiled, while pouring me a hot coffee that I didn't really ask for, but accepted gratefully. Margret, as her name tag read, waddled back to the counter, hollaring out the order to the employee cooking.

    By now, I was the only patron in the restaurant. I was busy blocking Matthew on every social media I had, including his number, when a plate of hot steaming food was set in front of me. I smiled up at Margret, setting my phone down and digging in. To my surprise, she sat down across from me as well.

    "So... who ya running from.", Margret asked, a serious look across her face. I knew I couldn't lie, that this woman could see straight through me and I could trust her

    "My fiancé... ex fiancé I suppose. I walked in on him... Umm... sleeping with my best friend. He said he did it bc I was looking at online colleges, and that I know I'm too stupid for that... and that I should be ready for a really bad punishment when her got back from dropping her off. It was gonna be worse than the other times", I said in shame. I hung my head, not wanting to show my humiliation.

    "Girl, you did the right thing! Get away from him before he kills you, Honey! I'd get as far away from him as I could. Where ya headed?" She asked with a concerned look, while getting up to help another customer that had walked in.

    "I'm not sure yet. Just gonna drive till I find somewhere." I said while pulling out my wallet to pay.

    "No ma'am. This is on Me. You save you're money to get somewhere safe. I'll say a prayer for ya, honey. Be safe!" She said, giving me a tight hug and kiss on the cheek, like a loving mother would do her child. I always wondered what that felt like.

    Before going back to the truck, I sipped a last cup of coffee, and searched the internet for any apartments for rent. Nothing came up. I searched for small towns within a 6hour driving distance, before finding one called Clintwood in Southwest Virginia. It was about four hours from where I was. I figured I could make the drive, and sleep in the truck tonight. I'd continue my search in the morning.

    Leaving a hearty tip for Margret, I poured my coffee into a to-go cup and got into my old truck. Setting my GPS, I began my journey to a new life.

•——————————————————————•
Thanks for reading. Pretty slow updates, just a heads up.