Chapter 10

"When I was 8, my family moved from Fallston, North Carolina, to Lincolnton, NC. It's about an hour away from each other. My brother was 13 at the time. My dad was an over-the road truck driver and pastor, and my mom worked in the school as a cafeteria manager. After a year, my dad had switched companies and was home every night, it was great! I was finally getting to spend time with my dad for the first time In my life. At the same time, my brother got into drugs.... it started with weed, and just progressed. By the time I was in middle school, he had moved to pills and alcohol. It caused so many violent fights in our home: screaming, punching holes in the walls, cops being called on a regular basis. I vowed then to never drink or do drugs.I tried being the good little preachers daughter: straight grades, started working on my 16th birthday at a restaurant as a hostess. Anything I could do to stay out of the house.
By the time I was in 11th grade, my parents were fighting a lot, not in front of me, but behind closed doors. It seemed mom was never home and dad filled his time with work or working on the cars. I graduated in June of 2014, and went on vacation to myrtle beach with our neighbor, my best friend, practically my little brother, and his family. I was 17, and he was 13. His older sister Kaila was 21, married and pregnant at the time. These people were my second family. Jordan went on family vacations with me, and I went with them every year.... anyway, I'm just rambling now.
That vacation changed my life. Kaila and I went down to the beach early while we waited on the rest of the family to get ready and meet us there. We found a spot and set up, and she said she needed to talk to me. I figured it's be the sex talk since I was 17 and still a virgin. But she asked me if I'd noticed anything between my mom and her dad. At this point, I'd had suspicions that maybe she was cheating, but you just don't ask the pastors wife if she's cheating., ya know? Well, I said yeah and we immediately went back to the rental house and confronted her dad, in front her her mom... who was left blind from diabetes and health issues. So she had no idea. I called my dad and told him I knew... turns out he'd known for over a year, and he drove to 4 hours to come get me.
We got home, and it blew up. She'd been talking  with our youth leader at church for years, and Jordan's dad, claiming my dad wasn't giving her any attention and these men were. In actuality, my dad was depressed from my brother being a worthless junkie and didn't want sex. She ended up moving out of state.

I ended up moving in with my then worthless ass boyfriend and renting a house, paying all the bills on $1000 a month.... till he got out crackwhore neighbor pregnant with twins. We'd been together for 2 years, talked about marriage and children. I'd wanted kids... but I'd been told I couldn't have them. Then he got her pregnant.... I left.

Then I met Matthew." I cringed and looked away. This was going to be the hard part. Jonah must've sensed it because he
Placed a small kiss to the side of my head and snuggled into me. "He came into my life at a dark time. He owned a very successful landscaping business, he hired only felons to give them second chances. I was in love with this man that showed me that he loved me daily. Sure we fought... what couple didn't. As I know I deserved the times that be hit me. We were even engaged.. we had a very nice apartment in the city, he'd gotten me a new Tesla suv, we were financially secure. Well... he started staying home from work more and I started covering the bills on my income.  Then my punishments started to be more violent to where my coworkers at the library began to notice the bruises, and I was having to wear long sleeves in the summer. But I loved him and when he proposed, I couldn't say no. Besides, I didn't have anyone else. I decided I wanted to take some online college classes and had done some research..... I came home from work one day to find him railing my best friend in our bed. He said it was my punishment for looking at that stuff... that I'm too stupid and should know better... and that when he got home from dropping her off, my punishment was going to be the worst I'd ever gotten. So, I ran. I had to leave, Jonah.... he would've killed me", by now, I was sobbing into his chest. Not from being sad, but from the fear of what would happen, should Matthew find me. I didn't want to think about it, and I think Jonah knew. He spun me around to straddle his waist, holding me tightly against his chest.

     "Lily, I'm so sorry. I'll kill him for ever laying a hand on you. Would that make you happy? For me to kill them both?" Jonah said seriously. I chuckled and kissed his cheek, while wiping away  tear.

  "No, no. I'm safe now, and that all that matters. Let them have each other. Why would I want that 5'8 man-child, when I've got a 6'8 hellhound?" I said with a tap on his nose. He just let out a playful growl and kissed me hard. My hands immediately went to his hair, giving a little tug and earning. More serious growl in return. We both pulled away panting, knowing we weren't ready for that yet, and settled for a cuddle under the heavy quilt on the bed.

    For now, everything was fine. We had finally opened up to each other, and we were safe.

——————————————-
So so sorry this was late. My husband and I have been at his buddy's house working on a project, and it's hard to write when you're at someone else's house.

Backstory: His friend is from Ireland. First time we went over there, I recognized the street he lived on, and asked my husband (Daniel) what Eddys last name was, he didn't know. But I did when we pulled in their driveway..... I dated his son in high school (class of 2014, so like 7 years ago)  for 2 weeks. I died laughing and told my husband. Sure enough mamas boy comes waddling out, 300lbs heavier to say hey. I told his parents and they thought it was hilarious. But weirdly it's not awkward? It was so long ago and for 2 weeks 😂😂 I don't think we even kissed during those 2 weeks. Daniel says he seems like a good kid, 😂 ok. Luckily he's rarely there when we go over. Still kinda wierd tho.