Chapter 20

❄Toshiro's P.O.V❄

The first day went well, not including the fact that everyone ended up staring at us. Allow me to explain my predicament. The lesson went smoothly with a few questions here and there. Most of the questions were asked by the one named Asano Keigo. I remembered him from a few visits to the World of the Living; he is quite the energetic one. Some of his questions were unnecessary and 'stupid' as quoted by Orihime's close friend - as I recalled from Matsumoto's talks with Inoue.

Once the theory-wise training was complete for the day, the members of the fourth division taught them the first step to manipulating their reistu. That small step was releasing bits of reistu, even if it narrowly reaches a two percentage of reistu. This was also a small test to analyze each of their levels of both amount and control of reistu.

Unsurprisingly, Karin had an abundant amount of reistu and, thanks to early-training from a certain captain, she finished her task quickly. She had nothing to do - since she finished early - so she would either advise others or sit with a bored expression.

I wrote down most of the results from today's training by then, so I would observe them closely. Another point of observing was to make sure the fourth division were able to teach efficiently, which they did. Their kind nature and patience, that the fourth was known for, was just the qualities needed for the task.

Everything went well.

I had only good things to write and small notes on things that needed to be taken into account. Something that was a bit odd to me was the times our eyes met. She would notice my scrutinizing and we would make awkward eye-contact - according to me it was. I would make a face every time she would smile. The first time, she waved and the last, she mouthed something.

'Don't forget.'

I sighed. The way she acted - apparently we - throughout the program must have caught people's attention. Soul Reapers and living alike. I could confidently say that, because of two reasons.

One: the Head Captain told me that his suspicions aroused from rumors going around. I am convinced that was due to Rangiku's loud-mouth. In any case, these rumors are the source of many people's curious eyes on any girl that happened to be from this program and myself. The familiarity we showed would be the cause of Karin being assumed of being the 'living human I am in love with'.

Second: the most painfully obvious reason. Reaching the end of today's agenda, everyone finished up. Yuzu Kurosaki had some difficulty bringing out her reistu and there was not much compared to Karin. Asano's sister had a little amount of reistu, but she was able to summon a significant amount of reistu. She was a bit slow and her brother was slightly better. The ever-smiling one had no problem with anything, but was average in everything. Truthfully, perhaps he was purposely doing the bare-minimum. Tatsuki was the opposite; she done her best. Her best was a bit too much, because it resulted in her bringing out too much reistu.

I made note of that, but as I finished writing it, I heard someone call me. That person was Hanataro and of course, Karin behind him. "Today's training was a success. Thankfully, no problems. What do you think, Captain Hitsuguya."

I nodded. "Yes, I agree. I managed to make a solid report too. I will give you a copy on their analysis too, but I am assuming you have done some observing yourself."

"Yes, I have. Thank you," he bowed, "See you tomorrow, Captain."

He left. "See you tomorrow, Captain." I scowled at her imitation. "Why are you still stuck on the fact that I am a captain?" I slipped my hands into my sleeves, facing her. She shrugged. "I can't imagine it. I remember you as a soccer-plus-sunset-watching buddy," she said.

"A what now?" I was lost, twisting my face in confusion.

She did not elaborate and instead, smiled again. We stood like that in silence for a moment. This is going to be very suspicious-looking if people were watching us. I thought, but - for some unknown reason - I could not look away. That thought was something in the back of my mind, distantly prying me. "You are smiling a lot today," I pointed out absentmindedly. "What did you want to tell me?"

"It-"

"Karin!" Her younger sister called. I was familiar with her voice, so I need not to look. I regretted turning away from our staring contest, however. What I saw was shocked and bewildered expressions from the remaining Soul Reapers on the training-ground. I could tell what they were thinking, but I refused to allow that prickly-burning sensation remain for even a minute!

Yuzu was waving at us, while Tatsuki watched us with crossed arms. Her eyebrow was raised. I was uncertain on what her thoughts were, but she might have come to the same conclusion as Matsumoto. I hope not.

"Are you going back with us!?" Yuzu questioned. I was half-hoping she would say 'yes'. Before I could process Karin taking my arm and answering that she was going to 'hang-out' with me, I had to process my previous thoughts.

Wait... 'half'!