Chapter 25

Karin would be lying if she said the thought never crossed her mind. With Yuzu and her brother's teasing from years back, her imagination went that direction once or twice.

However, the possibility that Toshiro thought of her in a romantic light never occurred to her and if it did, she was pushed back to reality. Imagery of Toshiro treating her romantically made her cringe, so she simply did not want to keep trying to imagine it.

So, after laughing her heart out and Mizuiro watching her with raised eyebrows (but smiling nonetheless), she left to the gardens outside. She desperately needed some air, but unlike the past, the thought stuck with her.

People in the Soul Society thought Toshiro was interested in her? And Toshiro knew this, but he went with her antics anyway? She never knew to what extent Toshiro would go to keep his title as a well-respected captain unsullied, but it must have been embarrassing to walk with the very person you're rumored to have romantic feelings for.

Man, I feel embarrassed too now. Her hands reached for her face instinctively to cover it.

"Why is it so hot outside?" She mumbled, trying to shake off a certain creeping feeling. "Why did I have to force him like that? He should've told me sooner."

But then again, I never gave him a chance to.

Karin's fingers moved up into her hair, pushing it back and wondering if she had stuffed any hairbands in her bag. If she was not massaging her scalp, her hands would be fanning herself instead.

Although, I wonder if I would've stopped myself from hanging out and cared that much about rumors in the first place. I missed talking to him--

"Karin Kurosaki."

She turned around, faster than she meant to; her heart pounded as if she'd been caught doing something she shouldn't be doing. However, she reminded herself she done nothing wrong.

She calmed herself, while greeting the man nearing her. "Uh, hello, Kuchiki-san."

Just like her first impression of him, she found every move he made graceful. And his reistu, wow, it danced around him like cherry blossoms being led by a gentle breeze. Mesmerizing and beautiful; Karin knew now why Rukia would rant to no ends about her brother. He held an aura different to her own brother's -- much different. Muzuiro and Yuzu's were nothing compared to the Kuchiki's reistu flow. 

His eyebrow raised -- and he made that simple action graceful too. The more she analyzed his reistu the more apparent it became that the flow - gentle and calming - had a certain sharpness too. 

"Good evening. I hope the rooms are satisfactory; is there any problems with the temperature?" He asked. 

Oh, he noticed. Shoot.

"No, I personally don't have any problems. Everything is perfect and comfortable," she answered, "Thank you for the hospitality. Everyone feels at home."

Byakuya paused, then peered at the entrance to their rooms. They both heard noises inside -- the Asano siblings voices were the clearest to make-out. Karin could've sworn she heard a thump on wood. 

"It would seem so," he said.

Karin's lips were pressed tightly against each other in an attempt to stop herself from bursting into laughter or snorting.

He turned back to her, and she adjusted her face back to her stoic expression - not quite mastered like his. "I will leave you to yourself then. If there are any inconveniences, contact me via the staff members and they will lead you to me."

"Thank you, I'll be sure to." Karin politely bowed, feeling as if she were in school again and greeting the one teacher she respected. 

She walked back inside once she heard Yuzu calling her, while momentarily wondering if Ichigo and the old goat made-up a convincing excuse as to why they weren't attending school for who knows when. Eh, problem for future me. 

She pitied her future self who had to deal with the whole 'Toshiro being in love with you' thing too. But for now, she would enjoy her sister's cooking.

Ah, she needed to tell Yuzu about her new ability awakening too. After all, no secrets, just as she promised.

Toshiro's P.O.V

"So."

Momo leaned her body against the wall beside the door, where I stood. I scowled, mimicking her by crossing my arms too. "What is it? I need to observe the new lesson soon."

And when she smiled, I regretted ever asking. I instinctively glared at her as I always had when we were younger. The first 'red flag' was the clear amusement in her face, and I failed to pick up on that? I should have known better.

"Are you going on another date after training?" She asked.  

I paused and momentarily forgot how to function my hands, what? I faintly heard the papers and clipboard hitting the floor. That single word echoed louder that I barely registered my empty hands.

Date. 

"Don't act surprised now. Come on, tell me," Momo said. 

Her smile had turned into a grin. I looked down at the papers. I needed to pick them up and leave soon; however, my hands were not in my control these days. No, my whole body and mind did not want to cooperate with rationality! 

My hands covered my ears, but it was too late. I pursed my lips when I heard Momo's laughter. The burning wouldn't go away. I groaned as my hands slid down to cover my face. 

A harsh pat on my back brought me out of my... trance, one could say. 

"I'm just joking around with you. Shiro. Though, I didn't expect that kind of reaction." She laughed. 

Her eyes softened and her smile contrasted her cheerful voice. She often made that face when something was on her mind -- the same face she had when Rukia first was announced to be executed and I had startled her. I could not bring myself to say anything in a situation like this.

All I had done was stare, but she noticed this too. Our eyes met and I looked away. 

"Is something wrong?"

Momo's smile fell, while she knelt down. I done the same to pick up the evaluation papers. She had not answered yet. Once she picked up the last page, she handed them to me. We stood up as I muttered my thanks. 

"Honestly," she sighed, "I act all amused and tease you about these things, because it's always funny to rile you up. We grew up like siblings, after all. But because Rangiku and I know you the best, it's not hard to read you."

"Where is this going, Momo?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Shiro, I'm starting to think, that maybe what Rangiku said isn't too farfetched now."