Chapter 19

Toshiro glanced at the black haired Kurosaki. He tried to hide his small gesture by quickly redirecting his eyes to the ground. Most likely, he would have to deal with others asking to specifically train her. He had already accepted one tutor for Karin before the training had even begun. He assumed the captain had already given her a lesson, considering they had an early encounter. He didn't have to think too much on accepting the man's request either, because Genryusai had suggested him in the first place.

Ukitake was his pupil, so it made sense that he was both recommended and qualified.

"Hey, he sounded real cool just now," the younger Asano said, "I got chills."

"Well, he is Ikkaku's friends, so of course he'd be even as half as cool as my beloved!" She looked oddly proud and Toshiro wasn't sure if he should even consider her words. He decided to pretend that he didn't hear a thing. It was better that way.

"Oh," Mizuiro stared across the training ground, "Are they the people who will be training us?"

Everyone's attention caught, they turned their gazes to their sides. A group of Soul Reapers were making their way towards them, they seemed to be running. Tatsuki - and it could be said for all those who had interacted with their fair share of Soul Reapers - expected something else. A young boy, looking close to the twins age, with tired eyes had bowed, "I am so sorry for being late, Captain Hitsuguya! We got caught up in a problem in squad thirteen."

Toshiro sighed, "As long as it does not happen again."

"Thank you!" He bowed again.

Another kid. They observed the interaction between the two, while being just as aware of the group of Soul Reapers behind them. "What? Is this place ruled by kids or something?" The brunet whispered to his rather passive friend.

Tatsuki's P.O.V

I have to admit, I didn't expect a kid so plain looking. And he was going to train us for who knows what? Never judge a book by its cover, I suppose. It still didn't change the fact that it was unexpected. Hitsuguya looked like a kid, but he had his hair that made him look intimidating - almost like the effect of Ichigo's hair. Though, this guy was just plain.

He wasn't intimidating like all the other Soul Reapers I've seen.

Plain black hair, his tired expression and his body frame was frail. He didn't have any weird quirks to him either. "What? Is this place ruled by kids or something?" Keigo whispered, but I could hear him clearly. "Well, we only just started moving place to place, so let's not jump to conclusions. Asano-san," Mizuiro joked at the end, to Keigo's protest.

I looked back when Hitsuguya spoke, his voice unexpectedly mature for his physical appearance, "This will be the group taking over your training and this is the person who will be in charge of the group."

The boy who apologized stepped up, but he looked really anxious. His head low and hands clasped before him. "My name is Hanataro Yamada; it's nice to meet you. I hope this training will go smoothly with Squad Four's help and we get along."

"Wow, that's such a lame name," Keigo said bluntly. Yamada flinched at the blatant dislike in his name. He looked ready to sulk.

Kiego, you idiot.

"It's a girl's name, isn't it?" Mizuiro asked with an innocence he 'oh-so' naturally composed. "I think it is." Mizuho was surprisingly calm. I sighed in defeat, seeing Yamada had been frozen in a trance. It was as if he was reminiscing over old memories. "Jeez, he just said that he hoped we could get along. And you go and insult his name," I said, shaking my head.

"I think it's a really nice name!" Yuzu exclaimed truthfully. With that, the boy was out of his trance and on the verge of tears. "You really think so?"

"Yup!" She nodded with a smile, while Karin stared at her with a stone-faced expression. I would say the same about myself.

"Okay, we will be starting now. Can... can everyone spread out, please! I will explain the basics of reistu and the basics on how to control it. After that, we can do a small exercise to make you more aware of it, which will make the task of suppressing it easier," Yamada said. He sounded nervous, but he managed to project properly for all to hear. Thank goodness for that.

Having a pushover was one thing, but being a pushover as you train someone, not a very good idea. It would be like giving a mother, who can't say no, a teaching job for kinder-gardeners. We complied and hadn't asked any questions, knowing we would get them soon.

Everyone - Soul Reapers and humans, all the same - spread out. I saw Karin walk away to speak to Hitsuguya. I watched their small exchange with slight curiosity. I saw Karin lightly hit him on the shoulder as if they were old friends, which I think would be the case.

"They're so cute together, aren't they?" Yuzu's voice made me flinch. I forgot she was standing next to me and I thought she would have gone by now. I raised an eyebrow at her words as we started walking too. "Wait, were you serious about them dating? I thought you were joking."

She nodded. "I was. But I wouldn't mind him dating her. He's a nice guy and, I'm sure Ichigo and dad wouldn't mind either."

Yeah, is that even allowed though? I shook my head at the girl's babbling on about how she wanted them to actually be a couple. "I mean, friendship is fine too. Still, if they ever did get together I'd be so happy! And, his got a nice job too, right? A captain. Wait, is this even a job. Does he get payed?"

I sighed. I don't know if this is worse than Orihime or not.

Toshiro's P.O.V

They were troublesome, but I suppose it was good that they were co-operating. I hoped having Squad Four training them would go well. I heard they were pushed around quite often by other squads, so I was skeptical. Albeit, it was a choice made, because this squad was the most capable. So I have heard, but it was said, they were the only ones to agree.

Personally, I would say it was a good choice in the end. This squad specialized in medical abilities and had a gentle touch. It was a necessary quality needed, considering who is being taught. And more importantly, who would teach. Imagining Squad 13 teaching them basics would not be a pretty sight.

"Toshiro." Karin was walking towards me.

"You are supposed to be there, not here," I stated, putting my hands into the sleeves of my uniform. "Yeah, I'll be there in a second." I was ever so slightly irritated by her words.

Once she was close, she unexpectedly hit me lightly on the shoulder; it would be a tap if not for the force she used. "Hey, I came to remind you about our meet-up. You know, to catch up. Don't you dare think I forgot."

"I did not say I would," is what I would say, but I gave up at that point. This persistent sister of Kurosaki's. I had my fair share of learning the hard way. I sighed, "Right. Why are you discussing this with me now? Humoring you, you could have told me after your lesson."

"Humoring me?" She shortly laughed and then proceeded to answer me, "I'm telling you, because we're hanging out after practice. I want to leave immediately after, because I will have more time to speak to you about something. And yes, it's important and you'll probably need it for your 'reports'."

I was left dumbfounded. She gave no room for processing or choices. Karin waved briefly and walked away for training.

She practically 'black-mailed' me!