XVIII

It's Monday, and it's time for us to go back to school again. We were technically supposed to go back last week, but we were too lazy to. Now, a month later, I'm going from a cynical, coughing mess to a happy gay mess with a girlfriend. Speaking of, that's going great. It's the first relationship either of us has been in, and it often shows. We have that usual awkwardness, those stuttering moments that we manage to find the adorableness in. I'm finally realizing why people like being in them. Before I met Zoë, I was so uninterested in the idea of dating anyone, or even having a one night stand as many people my age have. I was so uninterested in anything to do with romance or sex that I was beginning to think I was asexual, and aromantic. I just planned on spending my life by myself, being Laura's shoulder to cry on, getting a job and that would be it. Maybe get a dog or a cat, and leave it at that.

Those plans, however, were foiled by the dirty blonde headed girl standing on the curb of her new home across the road from me, her hands inside the pockets of her grey school pants, her bag on her shoulders covered by our puke-green coloured school jumper. She looks around before she spots me, and I see her smirk under the rainbow mask she bought over the weekend. We went for a walk around our ghetto city and went into the pharmacy because I needed another jar of rework putty, and she got the mask and sanitizers for us for school. I've become so accustomed to that smirk that I could recognize anywhere and under anything.

We go over to each other and meet in the middle of the road, hugging each other.

"Morning, amore. Ready for this shit?", she says when we separate.

"It's school. Just boring ass people in a boring ass place.", I shrug.

Zoë takes my hand, and I don't even notice before I feel her familiar squeeze of reassurance.

"It should be less boring for the two of us with what's changed.", she says, resting her head on my shoulder as we start walking down to Laura's house.

"Yes indeed.", I reply with a smile, wrapping my arm around her.

When we arrive at Laura's house, she's already outside, and she looks extremely annoyed until she sees us and her eyes widen.

"Ye did not- did ye hook up?", she says in disbelief.

Zoë laughs. "Nah, too young for that shit. I am dating your best friend though."

"What happened to, 'We only know each other 2 weeks'?", Laura says, imitating Zoë.

I roll my eyes. "Shit just felt right. I had to swoop in before she got bored waiting and started dating a 'hey mamas' girl who treated her like shit."

Zoë gags. "We've known each other for almost a month, you should know I'd rather date the dump Rina left in the kitchen yesterday than a 'hey mamas' girl. They're the straggot white men of the LGBT community."

"Anyways. How are ya'll dating and haven't done the devils tango?", Laura asks.

"Because, first we're only together 4 days. And secondly, neither of us are ready for that shit."

"Ion know. I was nearly 14 when I got my first boyfriend and we did that shit. He ended up being a piece of shit but that's what seals the deal in love, guys."

"I beg to differ.", Zoë says. "Well, that's just my preference. Everyone's different. I'm in no rush for any of that shit anyway. I'm perfectly content with this sappy shit."

I kiss her forehead as we keep walking. Before Laura can give us her 'awws', we hear a car slow down near us. We look next to us to see a guy with skin fades and a North Face jacket. Oh, boy.

"What's up, faggots?", he spits.

"Oh, shut up, Eoghan.", Laura replies.

She knows this douchebag?