XV

(Laura in header)

It's been over 2 weeks since I met Zoë and she came to stay with us. I was lucky enough to test negative and Zoë took that as her invitation to be as close to me as possible. It's hard to believe how quickly I've become accustomed to her prescence. She makes me feel things I've never felt before, all good things.

She's constantly laughing, and it's made the whole house start laughing more. Even my dog, Buddy, has seemed happier in himself. Zoë loves him, and I'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual. We could all be watching a movie and the small terrier would sit right between us and put his head on Zoë's thigh. I came downstairs last Saturday morning to see her on the ground playing tug of war with him. He usually doesn't take kindly to new people, and it took him ages to get used to Pat when he began living here. Zoë is just naturally perfect with everyone, dogs and humans.

Laura hasn't met her yet, since she couldn't come over with me in isolation. Since my isolation period is up, she's coming over. I feel like they could either get on really well or be mortal enemies. I hope it's the former.

My feelings for her have only grown stronger. We've had a few kisses here and there when no one was around, but we've never addressed anything. Most girls my age are either on their 10th relationship or taking a break from them, but this is the first time I've ever felt something for another person. It's embarrassing how easy it was to fall for her. She intrigued me as soon as I met her, and she's been intriguing me more and more every day. She's so gentle and sweet, but could probably also put someone in a hospital if duty called. She repays the smallest favours with bigger ones. The morning after she came home, we came downstairs to her cleaning the whole house flawlessly. A few nights later, she told Ma to relax in the sitting room and cleaned up after dinner, telling me the same thing when I offered to help. And last Friday morning, she went over and cleaned Sheila and Michael's cars. She told us that she wants to earn her place around, but we've told her theres no need and all she has to do is relax. But of course her stubborn ass insisted until we gave in.

I can tell she hasn't opened up much in her life, and that when she has, she's been shut down or left. I've heard a lot of her ugly truths, and they haven't made me think of her any differently. Any time she does tell me though, she's terrified I'll walk out the door and never breathe near her again. I want nothing more than to rain down hell on anyone and everyone who has ever hurt her or made her believe she isn't the angel I see her as. She's without a doubt the most extraordinary person I've ever met. I catch myself wondering whether she's real or I just made her up. I've never met or heard of anyone like her.

Right now, I look on as she helps ma weigh out the sweets for tonight. Its Halloween, and we're just going to stay in and watch movies.

"Alright, so if we have about all of them and we leave a bowl of fruit out for the trick or treaters. If they don't like that, boo hoo.", Zoë says as she opens a bag of sweets from Lidl and pours them into a bowl.

Ma laughs. "Don't be cruel, now. We don't need any pissed off neighbours at the door tomorrow morning."

"Child abuse! Yay-yeah!", I pipe in, making Zoë roll her eyes in amusement.

"I don't like kids. They always play YouTube at full blast in public on a sticky, crusty iPad, they're disgusting.", Zoë says before unwrapping a sweet and throwing it so it lands in my mouth.

Yes. We spent 2 hours practicing that.

"And you think you don't have the mentality of a little kid, Zoë?", Ma says.

"I do not! I am very mature! I just, really really really love Disney movies."

"She loves music from the stone age as well, she has many ages and personalities.", I say, earning myself a middle finger.