VI

(Katie in header)

When Zoë and I get outside, we head over to the sports field. The school spends ton of money each summer to repair the field after the students beat the earth so much with their football boots and hurleys and whatnot. They eat, sleep and drink sports, but at least I get a nice pitch from it.

"Jeez, when you look at this you wouldn't think it's any way associated with the rest of the school.", Zoë remarks.

"Its the only thing I like about the school. I don't play sports, but I put myself through a year of soccer just to spend time on it in first year. I was pretty good, but I hated it. Everyone treated training sessions like the Olympics. Like, no, ya'll are just 13 year olds kicking a ball around, its not that deep."

Zoë groans. "Nothing is worse than a kid or teenager who thinks they're in the all Ireland championship when playing a practice match. I know it's the dream for some of them but Jesus."

I watch as she runs over to a dryer, cleaner area of the pitch and lies down on on the grass, resting her head into the palm of her hand. I see her hand motion for to come over, so I do, and mirror her actions nearly a metre apart. The best part about being outside with the mask on is that I can be someway closer to her.

We're both silent for a few moments as we stare up at the cloudy sky. I honestly love October. It's the last month of the year before entering into the dark gloom of November, the worst month of the year in my opinion. Then all that goes for me in December because of Christmas. I fuckin love Christmas.

My thoughts are interrupted by Zoë asking me another question.

"You ever kissed anyone?"

I choke on air. "What?"

"You heard me."

I chuckle. "I have, once. Got the shift at a first year disco and I hated every 5 minutes of it. The guy was tiny and came out as gay 2 weeks later. He had to move schools because of bullying but he was a nice guy and I don't blame him because we were both terrible."

"I am so lucky I never experienced a disco shift. That shit looks so ugly. I kissed a few girls in the town school and thankfully they never ratted. They were just as closeted as I was, which is why i never got a girlfriend. Everyone was afraid of being with someone who was obviously gay without even saying it. That's not why I moved though."

"Why did you then?"

"Father got a new job. Funny, since lockdown started the week after we moved. I was born in Italy, and we moved to Ireland when I was 7. I was in Dublin first, which was worse than here. Everyone asking me to make them pizzas and pasta for 4 years, and I cussed them in Italian every time. Then I was in Kilkenny since I was 11 before I came here and I loved it. Big difference between the town and the outskirts of Limerick city. To be honest, ever since I got here, all I've thought about is getting a bus and going back there, especially last week."

I feel her pinky slowly begin to wrap around mine, as my heart skips a beat.

"What changed?", I ask quietly.

I turn my head to my right to see her already looking at me. She looks down at our hands and slowly joins them together. She looks back up at me as the warmth of her hand makes my whole body warm up and countless butterflies fill my stomach.

"Today happened. I've been here 7 months and today's the first day I haven't hated. I wonder why."

Her mask is off, so I see her smile loud and clear.

"I've been in this school for 3 years and today's the first day I haven't felt like i was living the same, miserable fake day over and over again. I wonder why." I smile back at her. Jesus, when did I get like this.

We look back up at the sky, but keep our hands linked, before Zoë breaks the silence again.

"You wanna know my face looks like I just tripped and landed on Dwayne Johnson?"

I chuckle but with little humour. "Why do you look like you fell on The Rock?"

"That's vaguely heterosexual and I despise it. Anyways, basically, when I got kicked out, my parents did it to me. Both of them. Honestly, the past week, I've been so confused. I got along so well with them. But they always mentioned me getting a boyfriend. Went into first year, asked me did I like any of the boys. Whenever the discos came around, my mother always wanted to take me shopping for dresses and shit so I could impress a random guy she saw me talking to about the maths homework, but I just went in jeans and a flannel. I always kinda knew I wasn't the daughter they wanted or thought I was, but I always thought they would ultimately accept me. I was still their daughter after all. But they didn't, and I can't stand them now."

I sigh. "Parents suck. I know they brought us into the world and all but damn. The expectations they have are just off the walls sometimes. Like, my ma is great, but she wants me to get at least a Higher Merit in every subject. Like, I'm smart but not that smart. I've cheated a few times but never gotten caught. Pat is more easy going though. He's just cool as fuck. But, like, we can't help if we like girls or fail a test. It's just who we are."

"Yeah. Everyone says 'be yourself' but that means a mentally stable, straight sports star who excels in all areas."

"Live, laugh, love, am I right?"

Zoë removes her hand from mine and punches my side playfully, making me laugh loudly.

"Never say that again. I was starting to like you."

"Sorry, I promise I'm not a Becky, I swear."

She looks at me before smirking. "Ok. I forgive you. Just please never say it again. If I hear anything more to do with white moms on Facebook, I'll shoot myself."

"Ok, captain, I promise."

Just then, the bell rings, and Zoë stands up, putting her mask back on and patting herself down.

"Come on, let's go."

She holds her hand out to help me, and I take it. When she pulls me up, she also pulls me in for a hug, taking me by surprise.

She is one sneaky little fuck, who happens to give really nice hugs and smells really good for someone who hasn't showered in a week.

"For the 1000th time, I dont care if I get sick so don't even say it."

I roll my eyes as we seperate and walk back into the building, feeling lighter than a feather from whatever this girl is doing to me.