Chapter 6 ✔

Being jump kicked by the hitman on his forehead while asleep wasn't a welcome surprise to Alec. Particularly the solemn gaze of his black eyes as soon as he cracked his open in a silent start.

"We need to talk," the hitman whispers tiredly, wiping the annoyed furrow of Alec's brows off his face in favour of a similar serious expression.

Pushing open a nearby window and climbing out on the ledge next to it with Reborn on his shoulder, Alec climbs higher with pursed lips in the heavy silence. Wind gently nudges the window close as he sits on the edge of the roof, legs hanging still.

Reborn lowers his fedora, covering his eyes, and they both bathe in the occasional twitters of birds and rustling leaves glowing under the dappling moonlight.

"Fire...'s..." Alec breathes out softly, blinking firmly as steady-formless-strong silver bubbles in his core, bleeding under his skin, "flames are sealed."

"How are you handling it?" Reborn studies up the blatant guilt marring the blond's face, his blue eyes dark and cloudy like a storm.

"I already feel like shit half of the time." Alec begins after a deep exhale. "Now I find his flames weren't only sealed, but with a botched one at that--" he folding his arms when the night chill rams a shudder down his spine, hugging himself, "--and what else? The mother's suffering from Iemitsu's prolonged absence. I almost broke down right there when I registered the bullshit seal after I met you which is why I left after handing him to you. What am I supposed to do with this utter clusterfuck?"

"Almost," Reborn moves to sit down on his shoulder instead, his warm-happy-lively yellow licking Alec's silver.

"Don't feed me your flames, Sunshine. You need them," Alec looks at him, blinking his glistening eyes when he feels it seep into his skin and melt. "You need them more than me."

"There's something else eating at you." The hitman overlooks the request, snuggling closer to the crook of the blond's neck who welcomes it.

Alec leans his head against Reborn's, swallowing the brick in his throat as his chest constricts tightly. "--was me," he mumbles, blue eyes drifting to the bright moon. "...It was me who got 'im... killed... Federico. I killed him."

"You're blaming yourself," Reborn turns his head to look at him, expression bordering disbelief and glee, "for getting well-justified revenge?"

"I shot Enrico and pushed Massimo to drown." Alec lowers his head in chest tightening guilt and shame, explaining quietly. "And then," he adds, voice heavy with revulsion, "I realised I killed three sons for their father's actions. I'm just like him... you know I've already lived a life directly carrying the consequences of others' actions."

"Not any of that is your fault." Reborn soothes as the blond's silver quiver in an attempt to stop more of his warm-happy-lively tether of yellow mixing.

"It feels like it is," Alec inhales sharply, heart thudding in his chest. He can feel his pulse pound near his collarbone and neck, hear it in his ears. "Especially with the mood swings and nightmares... But I'll--I'll keep trying."

"That's all that matters," Reborn jumps on the blond's lap, finally feeling his yellow pooling into the other's steady-formless-strong silver.

"Thanks," Alec whispers softly, enveloping the Arcobaleno into a tight hug.

"As long as you're not annoyed at me for sabotaging your dramatic entrances."

"So you admit it," Alec rasps, eyes crinkling. "I was annoyed you said it in front of them. The puppy was dissecting me at lunch."

"You enjoyed the challenge."

"You did," he counters pointedly as Wind tousles his hair.

"You just wanted to have some fun with Dino, didn't you?" Reborn's lips twitch into a smile, lifting his gaze.

"Why would you say that?"

"Why else would you use Alejandro?" Reborn observes his attempt to hold a straight face, amused.

"What's wrong with using a name similar to my own?" Alec lifts his eyebrow, lifting his chin slightly.

"The lack of imagination," The hitman comments, "Alexandre."

"Suzy," Alec hisses at Reborn's smirk.

"My point exactly."

Did you successfully protect your family? [01:47 AM]

No. [01:48 AM]

My informant tricked me. [01: 49 AM]

.

.

.

[remember to vote & comment - thoughts + theories especially!]