Chapter 2 ✔

He's dragging his feet across a bridge the next morning on his way to school, having barely slept after tossing and turning last night, when something heavy--hockey stick?--strikes his abdomen, making bite back the cry of pain that almost leaves his lips.

"Why the fuck did you do that for?" Alec says with quiet anger, turning around to stare at Haru, who gawks at him for his language. "Well?"

Haru drives the butt of the hockey stick against the floor of the bridge, making her armour clank. "If Reborn-chan is a real hitman--" she says adamantly, and Alec protectively wraps his arms around his abdomen before he even realises, "--I think you, who will be a real mafia boss, are very strong, Tsuna-san."

"I'm not Sawada-san, I'm--"

"You're his big brother!" Haru stabs the hockey stick in his direction with a shout, "And you're a bad influence on him!"

"I'm not any of those things!" The blond retorts brusquely as Wind ripples against his back, pushing against his shoulders because he can barely stand on own two feet most days and he's tired and exhausted and-- "Don't talk to me!"

"If you're strong, I'll believe Reborn-chan--" she ignores him, putting on a motorcycle helmet, "--and won't complain about anything in his life."

"No!" He pleads desperately as she raises the hockey stick-- "Please have a match with me!"--and swings it down.

Wind helps him dodge, and with fluid grace like his feet are scarcely touching the ground with each step--just as he used to move--Alec trips up the girl and is jerked in the other direction to the end of bridge.

Heart hammering in his chest and throat dry with each breath, he glances over his shoulder to see Tsuna behind her.

(Thank fuck. He's so tired.)

***

Alec doesn't know why he's staying, or even watching and studying the battle he pushed onto Tsuna.

"He's throwing dynamites? And that many?" He whispers from behind the fence as the small sound of rapid explosions enters his ears.

He considers his options again. Alec turns around to leave when Wind speaks up again, running delicate threads through his hair.

The Fire nor the girl can swim.

He sighs, raising his head to find Haru in the air.

"Oh--" Alec's eyes widen and curls his left hand into a fist, "--that should be enough." He breathes out in relief, more of his weight leaning against the fence as Haru's shout and the sound of something like a firework popping--probably Reborn shooting--echoes in his ears.

Don't you want to stay?

"No," he answers stiffly, turning around to resume his walk to Nami Middle. "They would've been fine without me anyway."

***

Tsuna initially doesn't believe himself and blinks at the mop of golden hair next to bridge, confirming its Alec and that he's actually there.

"Reborn," he calls out the hitman, grip loosening on the towel hanging around his neck. "Isn't that Mercier-san? Why's he still here?"

Reborn follows Tsuna's gaze, poker-face not cracking. "Is he?" He says, still slightly confused and more concerned. "Maybe you should ask him." Because he wants to know too.

(Alec was more tired today than he was yesterday, and that wasn't good.)

Haru squeaks and sighs dreamily, "Is he French? He has such a dreamy name... It would be wonderful if he jumped instead..."

Tsuna chokes on his breath and the Arcobaleno only lowers his fedora as Gokudera retorts with a scowl, black eyes fixed on the blonde's figure quickly disappearing from sight.