~ 7 ~

The dining hall was bathed in silence, save for the crackling lightning, booming thunder, and heavy raindrops that splattered on the windowsills. Although the morning was swiftly passing, flickering lanterns were the sole source of illumination, and the suitors bent low over their food to see it. Seokjin could not be bothered with eating. He anxiously paced the extent of the room, listening for pattering footsteps from the corridor. The scraping of spoons against wooden bowls, slurping of soup, occasional hums of delight... it was all madness. How were they so calm while Joseon's queen suffered immense grief?

Suddenly, Seokjin became attuned to hurried whispering beyond the doors, and then they flung open, revealing a rain-drenched Jimin. His hair had loosened from its topknot, weighed down by the deluge, and the black locks framed his frenzied expression.

"I have searched everywhere," he panted. A puddle was forming around him, wrung from the water drenching his robes. "I cannot find her."

Seokjin's heart palpitated. He knew that, realistically, after thousands of soldiers had been summoned to Changdeokgung to prevent Gyeongbokgung's fate from befalling it, it would be nearly impossible for invaders to break through. But his worries were not diminished. "Did you search Huijeongdang Hall?"

"Yes."

Seokjin deflated – he had assumed that the queen's grief would, once again, lead her to the king's chambers. "And the queen's chambers? Was Daejojeon Hall thoroughly searched?"

"Yes. She is nowhere to be found."

Seokjin gnawed on his bottom lip. By this time, Jimin's rain-soaked appearance was drawing the attention of the suitors – well, most of them. Hoseok continued to slurp up soup and gather large clumps of rice, stuffing his cheeks with as much food as they could hold. The other three showed varying levels of concern and annoyance. Seokjin chose to ignore Jungkook's frustrated quip, "Is this a usual occurrence, for Joseon to lose its queen?" and further inquired, "What about Huwon?"

Jimin hesitated. "I supposed that since she was not there last time–"

"Send a search party through Huwon, and oversee them directly."

"I will." Jimin bowed again and exited the dining hall, his thoughts racing with concern for Baram's safety and exasperation with the extent of her grief. Of course, he understood losing someone dear to you, but she could at least abate his worries by providing her whereabouts rather than disappearing entirely. Such were the thoughts that so wholly dominated his mind, he barreled around the corner and collided with a figure bathed in white robes. Their foreheads bashed together, and she let out a shriek, flailing her arms wildly.

"Baram, oh, my–" Jimin scrambled to catch her wrists before she fell, and his first instinct was to tug her into his arms, envelop her in his embrace. Her heart was pounding so fast that he could feel it drumming against his chest. "I was so worried! You cannot – and I do mean, cannot – continue to disappear like this. Please, in the very least, inform me of your whereabouts if you wish to be alone. The morning is nearly passed, and you know how angry Seokjin becomes when his schedules are not strictly abided by. But what am I saying? I... are you okay?" He clutched her cold hands, praying that she would muster a smile carrying some semblance of yesterday's happiness.

But there was no smile on Baram's face, not even a weak attempt. Her eyes were swollen and bloodshot, dark circles badly disguised by powder. Her face sagged with exhaustion and her hands were trembling. A mere acquaintance would not notice it, but Jimin knew she was on the verge of tears, and he held her even tighter.

"You should not be wandering the palace alone, Baram-ah," he murmured, struggling to hold back his own tears. He distracted himself with smoothing down the hair that fed her limp bun. "Anything could happen to you, and I... I was so worried."

I Dreamed a Dream || BTSजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें