~ 2 ~

"The Court of Air will now convene for the purpose of selecting a suitor that will represent the finest of the four Royal Courts."

Taehyung kept his head bowed as the Court Minister restated the Chief Royal Secretary's decree. For his own sake, it was necessary to maintain a façade of politeness, wooing the Court before the queen. He stood alone, in his father's vacated space, though all around him, sons were crammed into the quaint temple beside their elders. Some were all too confident in their abilities, whispering over the Court Minister's recitation, while others trembled, only in attendance to appease their fathers.

Taehyung bit back a smile. He knew it would all be for naught once he stepped forward.

"You may begin to present yourselves," the Court Minister announced, and there was an immediate flurry of motion as three boys scrambled to the front.

"My lord, I am Kwang-ho, and I–"

"My father belongs to the Ministry of Personnel–"

"My name is Min-kyu, and I am deeply honored to–"

The Court Minister's brow had already furrowed with distaste, a frown etching into his normally upturned lips. From the morning's rant at home, he was already displeased at having to conduct the convention, disproving of the palace's methods to find Joseon's next king.

"It is foolish," he had insisted over a cup of steaming tea. "Even if it will boost the kingdom's morale, give them hope for a better ruler, do we not have more important concerns?" He believed in swiftly instating a king to deal with the growing tensions between Joseon and Japan, not engaging in a foolish competition to empower the queen. But he could not voice those concerns while holding the most important position in the Court of Air.

The potential suitors varied in age, Taehyung noticed. Some were ahjussis, from the same generation as his wrinkled, wearied father. Others were no older than children. The Court Minister paid little attention to those – Joseon required a man for a king, not trembling boys who flung themselves at the Court Minister's feet. Taehyung would do no such thing either. When the presentations finally slowed, and the sun was setting on the horizon, he raised his head and stepped forward. A ripple of whispers and disappointed groans shot through the temple like a tsunami with every echoing footstep of Taehyung's boots.

"The Court Minister's son," they murmured amongst themselves. "Our children are surely doomed now."

"Court Minister," Taehyung called out. His father looked down upon him with a wearied expression. "My name is Kim Taehyung, and I present myself as the Court of Air's representative suitor. For years, I have studied as a scholar, making it my duty to learn about the political, economic, and societal functions of Joseon. I have become a skilled swordsman and archer, enabling me to protect myself against those nations who would dare consider us inferior. As much as I have yet to learn, there cannot be a more fitting ruler for Joseon than myself. If I am presented to the queen as a representative suitor, I have no doubt that I will win her heart, and you will see me, your son, become King Taehyung of Joseon."

His confidence, contradictory to his previous subservience, sparked more murmurs until the Court Minister demanded silence. "Have we any more presentations?"

Silence. Even those who had not yet stepped forward would not dare challenge Taehyung now. He had all but won the representation.

"Then it falls upon me to make a decision." The Court Minister paused for several moments, surveying the orderly crowd gathered in the temple. Never once did his gaze rest on his son, which made Taehyung's hands curl into fists beneath the sleeves of his robes. What game was he playing? Even the Court itself had no doubt that Taehyung would proceed as representative suitor – why would his father give hope to others where there was none? "Would..." The Court Minister sighed. "Would Choi Min-kyu, son of Choi Jung-il, Jeongrang of the Ministry of Rites, step forward?"