Foreword

I dreamed a dream in times gone by

When hope was high and life worth living

I dreamed that love would never die

- I Dreamed a Dream, from "Les Miserables"

This is not a story of love.

There is not a happy ending.

If you are in search of a hopeful tale, you will not find it here.

Yet, if these warnings have fallen short, and you linger still, you are one of the few who will understand. We cry out our pleas -- if only life were as innocent as the birds who chirp in the sky; if only life were as lovely as the frothing ocean tide; if only love were as passionate as a blazing fire; if only love were not like air, like the fickle wind. These pleas, regrettably, fall on empty ears. The world is cold and cares not of our wishes. If it did, Yoongi would still be here. If it did, I would still be here.

HISTORICAL KNOWLEDGE (read for a deeper understanding of the story's historical context)

Many historical K-dramas are set during this period of Korea, the reign of the Joseon dynasty (1392-1897). Near the beginning of this era, Joseon and Japan's tensions divulged into open warfare called the Imjin War. The Japanese invaded and captured much of Joseon's territory, including its capital. They burnt down several of the Five Grand Palaces. After this conflict was resolved, King Gwanghae rose to the throne (yes, as in "berserk tiger, Gwanghae flow" from Daechwita), and he gained a poor reputation for cruelty.

The Daechwita music video, as many know, is an inspired retelling of Korea's history, centering around King Gwanghae's rule. It drew influence from the 2012 period drama film, "Masquerade," and the later show, "The Crowned Clown." Yoongi depicts both the tyrannical, paranoid king, obsessed with executing anyone – fairly or unfairly – accused of treason, and the lookalike peasant who objects to his rule and ascends the throne in his place. This is, of course, a dramatized account of the historical King Gwanghae's rule, but it conveys an interesting dichotomy between being a good human and a good ruler.

This story uses several Korean words/phrases that are used often in period dramas. "Jeonha" is the equivalent of "Your Majesty," speaking to a king. "Jungjeonmama" is the equivalent of "Your Majesty," speaking to a queen. Not many other titles are used, and if they are, their meaning is elaborated.

DISCLAIMER (for legal reasons hehe)

This is a work of fanfiction using BTS' names. It is solely for entertainment purposes and should not be held representative of BTS' personality/experiences/interactions/etc. in the real world. The characters are fictional, as is the world in which they are set. This is a historical fiction, meaning that the story will reflect real-life events from the past, but they have been altered to fit the fictitious storyline from the author's imagination.

PREVIEW (of the Prologue)

The room was lit only by a dim candle, just bright enough to illuminate the sheen of perspiration on his forehead and the trickles of blood cascading from the wound on his heaving chest. He coughed hoarsely, and Baram flung herself across the room to kneel beside his bed. "Jeonha," she pleaded, clutching his warm hand in hers. "Yoongi."

"You must embrace reality, my love," he whispered. "Nothing can save me now." She pressed her head against the side of his torso to muffle her sobs. His robes were soaked through with blood. "I have always loved you – from the moment we met, to the moment we share now. My love will follow you beyond my death. You must understand this."

"I do." Trembling, she reclaimed his hand and kissed his palm. "I do, Jeonha. You love me as much as I love you."

"But a woman cannot rule Joseon on her own. I wish for you to select a husband to succeed me, one who will rule Joseon fairly and mercifully, one who will make you happy." He gazed upon her with something reminiscent of his fond smile. "I love you so much, Baram." His emotionless façade finally faltered, giving way to tears. But he refused to close his eyes and abate the stinging, determined to make her the last thing he saw. "So much." He blinked once, and then no more. His hand tightened on her scalp, and then loosened, falling limply to the bed.

A faraway voice, falling upon deaf ears. "The king is dead. Pay your respects."

Published June 22, 2021.