Dallas Winston x Reader

You were walking, walking slowly to the lasting bedside of your friend. Your best friend, Dallas Winston. It's only been a week since he fell, and in that week alone you've almost made as many friends as you've lost. None of them would really amount to much, never as much as him. You spent you're whole life with him, watching his back, keeping him fed, and happy... so why? Why would he leave you? Why so soon?

"Don't eat that, dumbass! That's from the goddamn dumpster!"

You chuckled at the memories, he wasn't all that bright when you were kids. But then again neither were you considering just how long you stuck around him.

"Hey, hey, hey! You're okay! I'm here, I'm here and I swear I won't ever leave!"

Your throat tightened as the thought drifted by. Never staying around for too long, just like that bastard. You promised him, but he never said it back, god, he never said it back. Were you the only one who cared? You let out a shaky breath as the gates came into view, your hands growing cold with anticipation. You always came by, everyday at the same time. But it didn't matter, it's not like it would change. He'd always be there, the only time he stuck around to wait for you was when he had no where else to go.
You put everything aside as the resting place of Dallas appeared. It was a simple grave. A paupers grave. But that was all you could afford, why you were the one to pull it together and arrange the funeral was still baffling. He had other friends, though it was quite obvious that they weren't any better off than you were. You couldn't help but hate them. They came into his life so much later than you, they weren't there for him like you were, and yet he still chose them over you. Your jaw tightened and your teeth clenched as the memories flew by.

You heard the guns fire and watched Dallas fall, he was dead before he ever hit the ground

"I know that I shouldn't be angry... I know damn well. But can you really blame me? I spent all my time on you, and yet you leave at the drop of a hat... why?" You looked down at the tombstone. A glaze covering your eyes. No matter how many times you came by you never got answers. And you never would. He was dead, after all, it's not like he'd want to come back and tell you the reason why anyway. He was probably having too much fun with that Johnny kid. You grimaced at the thought. He never introduced the two of you, actually, he never introduced you to anyone from his stupid gang. You didn't even know their names until you met them at his funeral. And it's not like you were in any mood to have an actual conversation with any of them, you had still been blaming them for his death.

"Ya know Dallas, I'm getting real tired of bailing you outta jail. So ya better pull your shit together 'fore I leave you here."

You remembered how he had replied, saying that you loved him too much to do that. He had been joking then, but it was true. You used to complain that you were gonna go into debt to try and keep him out of jail. But you had never thought that maybe it wouldn't be jail to put you into debt. God, why him? Why any of them? Who was to blame? Was it really fair to blame anyone other than yourself for what's become of you?

"I always said I was the smarter one of us. But I guess I was wrong, I never saw this coming. Never would've..." you drifted off, not really wanting to finish your sentence. It was hard, trying to navigate this by yourself. Usually Dallas would be there to tell you to toughen up, tell you that you've been through hell and back so something like this shouldn't matter anymore. But he wasn't here now. Part of you was grateful... and it disgusted the rest of you.
"You left me so easily, all for that boy. What was so special about him? What did he have that made him worth dying for?" You began to ramble, this wasn't too surprising though, rambling had become somewhat of a habit of yours now. Talking to yourself was common, besides its not like you had anyone else to talk to. That Curtis household seemingly wanted nothing to do with you, and Shepherds gang wasn't so fond of you either. You knew that there was two other boys but you couldn't even remember their names, so what use would it be to try and talk to them about your own problems? Problems.
All you had were problems, problems that you had no way of knowing how to deal with. Before you just got drunk or hooked up with a stranger, but that got a lot harder when you couldn't even find the strength to brush your teeth. You felt pathetic, grovelling for answers at the grave of someone who couldn't give less of a shit about you. He left. He just wanted to get away from you, why else would he have become so attached to his other friends anyways? He was probably laughing at you from heaven, or hell, knowing him. You got up from your kneeling position and scowled down at the writing scrawled across the cold stone, feeling nothing but a cacophony of emotions colliding together. It was cold underneath the willow tree that his grave sat under. The silence wrapping you tight was absolutely deafening. A gust of wind ate through your body, sending dull shivers through your veins. Breathing became next to impossible as you shook, would you ever get well? You felt weaker than you had ever been in your entire life.

"You left me! It's like I didn't even matter to you!" You paused at that, thinking.
"Did... did I ever even matter to you? What was I to you?"

You stood for what seemed to be hours. Eternities, even. Never an answer to come. It seemed as if you had finally composed yourself when you heard wind chimes clicking together. You looked over to where the noise was coming from, and then your composure broke. Ice ran through your veins before melting, washing everything away, the hard and foreboding exterior you had spent so many years building came crashing down in a painful and glorious rush. The wind picked up, sweeping up memories and futures in a great flurry.

"Don't call me a dumbass! No need to lecture me like you're my mom, I much prefer you as my friend."
"I know... you never let me forget that I'm stuck with you. Thank you for that."
As he fell, a tear slipped out. In all the noise he could perfectly pick out which voice belonged to you, he knew that it would be the last voice he heard.
"We both know you wouldn't leave me. You love me too much to do that."

So much happened in a split second, the wind, the memories, and now you were back on the ground. Sobs ripped through your body and the reverberations opened wounds, new and old. But it was a kind and gentle hurricane of hurt, it was the reminder that those feelings were good. They proved that you had cared, and that then proved that all of those years weren't wasted ones. You turned your head up and though glassy eyes, looked upon the wind chimes. A smile graces your lips, it was a ghost of what your smiles used to be. But it was a damn good start.
You got up, wiping the liquid gold from your eye, tears had a new meaning each time you cried. This time they meant everything to you. Turning, you whispered something to him, you knew he would hear you. He was always good at listening to you when no one else would. The wind seemed to be far warmer, gentle even, but just strong enough for the chimes to continue orchestrating a soft crescendo of music. The words engraved into the worn white ceramic chimes waving you away as you wandered off, feeling in the mood for Dairy Queen.

Live your life for those who can't