Four

I knocked on Viviane's door and hoped she would answer soon. I had waited at the cafe for an hour before giving up and returning here, to the palace. I felt like a complete fool- I had been warned but I hadn't trusted my friend and now all I wanted to do was curl up in a ball and drink myself under the table with a bottle of Rhys' best wine. If Cassian were here, he would join me. But as it is, I'm glad I have Viviane.

     I rubbed at my eyes with the sleeve of my fluffy sweater. As soon as I had gotten back I had rubbed off my makeup and changed out of the dress. I was mad- at Moira for abandoning me, but mostly at myself. I was so desperate that I hadn't thought twice and had trusted some random person- that's how you get killed.

     I was lucky, so, so lucky that she wasn't my enemy- just a random female who happened to like to play games with people's hearts.

     Viviane finally opened the door and when she saw me and my pathetically red rimmed eyes, she gasped. Grabbing my arms, she pulled me inside. To my eternal embarrassment, Kallias was laying on the bed. He took one look at me before quickly getting up and leaving, after kissing my friend on the cheek.

     Was wanting someone to love me really too much to ask? It was my Father's voice that answered, yes, yes it is.

     "She hurt you didn't she?"

     "Yes. Viv, I am so, so, sorry. I shouldn't have snapped at you yesterday and I've felt awful about it ever since I left."

     "It's not me that you should be apologizing to." The white haired female said. "It's my sister."

     I dropped onto her bed and covered my face with my hands. "I know and I want to, it's just that I don't know where her room is. That's half the reason why I came here."

     My friend stroked my hair back from where it had fallen into my face. She told me where to find her room, but when I made to get up she stopped me. "I love you- you know that right? And you know that you can always come here and I'll be glad to see you?"

     Finding it odd for her to mention this, I responded but my tone was slightly puzzled. "I do, and you know the same things go for you, but why are you telling me this now?"

     Viviane shrugged. "Just thought you should know. Emlyn and I are always here for you." She said the last part with a suggestive tone, which was confusing. She finally let go of my arm.

     Not feeling like what she had just said had been cleared up at all, I left to go to Emlyn's room and beg someone for forgiveness for the second time tonight.

     My heart was pounding. Out of the two sisters, I knew significantly less about Emlyn. She had fought in the War as a member of the the Winter Court's army. I think she's higher ranking, maybe a general? I'm not quite sure. It's not that I didn't want to know about her- it's just that she's more closed off. She was shy compared to Viv.

     I had reached her door. Taking a deep breath, I knocked and then waited.

     There was no answer.

     Maybe she was out, doing something? No, that couldn't be it- Viviane has implied that she was here. Should I wait, or should I go? Luckily, I never had to decide- Emlyn came walking around the corner. She was dressed in a thick fur jacket and soft leggings. She blinked when she took me in, obviously surprised that I was here.

     "Mor?" My name was a hundred questions, all wondering if I was okay or what was I doing here. She reached her door and unlocked it with a key that she had produced from a pocket somewhere in her jacket.