2. Coronation

Her palms were sweaty. She was extremely nervous, pacing back and forth in the middle of her bedroom. It was late in the evening, and she still wasn't sure what to wear. She had been to so many balls and feasts in the past, that finding something to wear would not have normally been a problem, but this was different. This night was all about her. As a matter of fact, it was the most important night of her life.

"My lady," a voice said from behind her, "you're going to cause an indentation in the floor if you continue to pace like this."

She looked up, but she didn't stop. Lily Silo, her maid, was smiling sympathetically at her. Her cheeks were red and she was slightly ashamed of her behavior.

"I'm nervous," she said defensively.

"I didn't mean to cause offense, Lady Sylvia."

Sylvia's lips curved into a brief smile. "You haven't. It's just that­ ­ - Well, this is a very important night, isn't it?"

"It is," Lily agreed. "You deserve it though."

"I am of age. That is the only reason the honor will be bestowed on me." There was a subtle bitterness in her voice. "My father does not think I have earned it."

"What makes you think that?" Lily asked. "The king loves you. You are his daughter, after all."

Sylvia sighed. "Yes, but he's always saying that I rely too much on my heart."

"That's what will make you a great queen one day. Elyria will be lucky to have someone like you in power. The kingdom will prosper."

"You're very sweet, Lily."

"I was only speaking the truth."

Sylvia stopped pacing. She gazed at her maid, the one person who had been a constant in her life, since the day she walked through the door of the castle. Lily had taken care of her most of her adult life. They were roughly the same age too. She was more than a servant. Lily was her friend, and conversations like this one confirmed it.

"I can't even decide on which dress I want to wear."

Sylvia glanced over at her bed. Lily had laid out four of her favorites for her to choose from. There was one that was a dull red with gold trim, a purple one with light blue trim, an emerald green one with gold trim, and a white one with golden accents. They were all gorgeous. She turned to face Lily.

"Which one do you like?"

Lily frowned. "I like them all."

"Oh, you're no help."

"You will look beautiful in whichever dress you choose."

Sylvia exhaled loudly, studying each one of the dresses. "This is hopeless." She walked over to the bed, picked up each one, and examined them carefully, holding them up to her. It was hard to choose from. "Lily, please."

Lily smiled. "I like the green one and the white one."

"Now, was that so hard?"

"I don't like to influence your decisions, my lady."

"I know, I know. And normally, I don't like to put you into that situation, but this was extremely important." She handed the purple and red dresses to Lily and she put them back into the wardrobe. Then she held the white one up to her and admired it for a moment, then did the same with the green. After several minutes of careful consideration, she chose the white one. "This one will do."

"Excellent choice," Lily stated. "It will look great on you."

"Thank you," Sylvia told her. She put the green dress away herself and draped the white one over her arm. "I will put it on, so you can begin to try and do something with my hair."